Ryan C. Smith focuses his practice on intellectual property, specifically as it relates to chemical and life science technologies. From individual innovators to startups and fortune 500 companies, he represents clients in the consumer products, biomedical, food science, agriculture, chemical, and medical device industries.
He was previously a shareholder at an intellectual property law firm and also worked at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office as a patent examiner where he evaluated patent applications relating to drug-delivery devices and bio-affecting and body-treating compositions.
Ryan uses both experiences to help his clients strategically navigate the patent process from product concept to clearance. For over a decade, Ryan has learned that each step of the patent process is important, and values fostering a true partnership with clients to help achieve business objectives.
Ryan provides knowledgeable service in many forms, including:
- Filing and prosecuting U.S. applications
- Managing global patent portfolios
- Crafting invalidity, clearance and infringement opinions
- Performing M&A due diligence of intellectual property portfolios,
- Negotiating licensing and joint development agreements
Education & Credentials
Creighton UniversityPh.D., Pharmacology
Creighton UniversityB.S., Biology
William Mitchell College of LawJ.D.
• Cybaris, An Intellectual Property Law Review, Editor-in-Chief
• Giles Sutherland Rich Moot Court, best brief, Chicago Region
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association (MIPLA)
- New York Academy of Sciences
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET)
- Board member, Executive Committee, Normandale Community College Foundation
- Board member, Vice President, St. Paul All-City Football Program
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- On the Cutting Edge: Updates on Patent Law, Data Privacy, and E-Commerce CLE (July 11, 2019)
- Hot Topics, Trends, & Updates: Cybersecurity, Patent Litigation Decisions, and the Implications CLE (July 11, 2018)
- Quoted, Merchant & Gould Taps Two Partners to Lead Practice Group, Law360, June 23, 2021