University of MichiganB.A., 1981
- with high distinction
Boston University School of LawJ.D., 1985
- Law Review
- Top Female Attorney in Michigan 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2009-present
- Lawyer of the Year 2016- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent
- DBusiness Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit, Employee Benefits Law, 2011-present
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Employee Benefits/ERISA, 2010-present
- Honored with the Thanks Badge award by the Girl Scouts of Southeastern Michigan
Negotiated and prepared documents in asset purchase by consumer packaged goods company for transition of health benefits; analyzed avoidance of multiemployer withdrawal liability and new retirement programs for union and non-union employees.
Assisted with termination, assignment and transition of employee benefits programs in stock sale of information technology-based subsidiary of public company, including assigning certain plans to parent and transitioning other programs to buyer.
Prepared incentive compensation plan for foreign subsidiaries of public energy and defense firm.
Provided due diligence expertise and employee benefits consultation for $75 million acquisition of US and non-US assets. Complex deal involved acquisition of stock and assets located in North America, Europe, Asia and South America.
Prepared multiple voluntary correction and late amender applications with IRS and DOL for qualified plan operation and document failures.
Resolved issues regarding delinquent and incomplete Form 5500 filings with Department of Labor.
Conducted internal client audit of employee v. independent contractor classification.
Successfully closed a complex, $50 million private equity financing including a reincorporation merger and a myriad of difficult pre-closing transactions.
Advised publicly traded auction house on addition of restricted stock units to existing equity compensation plan to minimize accelerated FICA tax implications for retirement age participants.
Assisted tier one automotive supplier in analyzing defined benefit plan funding restrictions and correction of misapplication of benefit distribution and benefit accrual limitations.
Consulted specialty physician group regarding coordination of supplemental retirement benefits and buy-out benefits.
Designed nonqualified Section 457(f) deferred compensation programs for executive officers of Credit Union and advised regarding insurance funding options.
Secured IRS approval of new, amended and terminated employee stock ownership plans.
- State Bar of Michigan - Taxation Section
- Oakland County Bar Association - Chair and Vice-Chair, Employee Benefits, 1998-2000, 2013-2015
- American Bar Association
- Girl Scouts Southeastern Michigan Pension Committee, 2005-present
- Jewish Vocational Services, Board Member, 2011-present
- Executive Committee, Retirement Committee, and Professional Services Committee