Phil is an attorney practicing out of Dickinson Wright’s Grand Rapids office. His practice focuses on corporate, finance, and real estate law. Phil assists a broad range of business clients in a variety of matters, including business formation, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, loan documentation, and real estate transactions.
Prior to beginning his legal career, he served for six years in the United States Army with one deployment, achieving the rank of Captain.
Education & Credentials
Indiana University, Maurer School of LawJ.D.
- Executive Business Editor, Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies
- Elmore Entrepreneurship Law Clinic
- Assisted startup companies and entrepreneurs with formation issues, funding, and intellectual property protection, and advised on operational matters
- 1 of 7 JD and MBA students selected to participate for the Spring Semester, 2019
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award (Highest Grade), Transactional Drafting
United States Military Academy (West Point)B.S., American Legal Studies and Environmental Engineering
- One of six students selected to represent West Point at the competition for International Humanitarian Law for Military Academies at the International Institute of Humanitarian Law
- Member of the intercollegiate football team
- Advised auto parts manufacturer on business operations and finance issues working to resolve payment and billing issues, resulting in savings to client.
- Represented a commercial lender in an aggregate $5,000,000 loan refinance and negotiation to secure previously lent funds resulting in a final loan payoff.
- Represented a regional commercial developer in a $10,000,000 like-kind exchange resulting in significant tax savings to the client.
- Represented a regional meat distributor in the successful asset sale resulting in the client receiving $5,000,000.
- Represented a regional healthcare provider in the successful stock sale of their limited liability company.
- Represented multiple commercial developers and business clients in the negotiation and documentation of their real estate sales and purchases.
- Represented a major insurance holdings company in the acquisition of multiple small to medium size agencies.
- Represented multiple business clients in the sale or purchase of assets, stock, and membership interests.
- Member, Allen County Bar Association (Indiana)
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association
- Member, Grand Rapids Bar Association (Michigan)
- Member, State Bar of Michigan
- ACRES Land Trust
- Volunteer Coach
- West Point Society of Michigan
- Army Football Club
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana