Jeffrey Stahl, a member of Dickinson Wright’s Chicago office, is a responsive and practical lawyer who takes his clients’ success personally. He helps his clients - commercial real estate developers and investors, real estate investment trusts, business buyers and sellers, financial institutions, and more - in identifying and executing creative solutions to the issues and barriers that arise in the course of business. He has assisted clients in the acquisition of nearly every type of commercial property on the market: major flag hotels, retail developments ranging from single-tenant triple-net to grocery-anchored strips to power centers to malls, office buildings, warehouse and industrial space, self-storage and tech buildings, apartment complexes, entertainment destinations (including land-based and dockside casinos), and a wide variety of mixed-use properties.
Jeff has particular aptitude in advising developers of both commercial projects and residential subdivisions on the entitlement and construction of these properties. His clients rely on his practical advice, street smarts, and business and industry insight to guide their efforts and help them define short- and long-term objectives. They recognize that he listens to their needs, speaks their language, and – as a former general counsel to a Chicago bank and commercial property owner –understands what it’s like to be in their shoes. He helps guide their business and strategic planning initiatives, and has been asked to join the boards of directors and trustees of client businesses.
Jeff assists his clients with the financing of their deals, including equity, mezzanine and straight debt, construction and permanent loans, equity and debt raises, tenants-in-common and like-kind exchange vehicles, and alternative entity structures. In addition to his work assisting borrowers, Jeff uses his in-house experience to negotiate and document loans for lenders as well as debt and equity funds. Jeff is a licensed real estate broker in Illinois.
Southern Methodist UniversityJ.D., 1983
University of Notre DameB.B.A., 1980
- Illinois Super Lawyers
- Real Estate, 2010 – 2021
- Chambers USA
- Real Estate, 2009 and 2010
- Illinois Leading Lawyers
- Real Estate Law: Commercial, 2012 – 2018
- Real Estate Law: Finance, 2012 – 2018
- Leading Lawyers Network
- Top 100 Real Estate Lawyers in Illinois
- Represented affiliated sellers in the sale of nine Midwest grocery anchored shopping centers to two affiliated funds, for a total sale price in excess of $200 Million.
- Represented a self-storage developer in the separate acquisition, financing, equity raise, closing and construction of developments in San Diego, Redlands, Otay Mesa, and Vista CA and Crete, IL.
- Represented purchasing developer in the acquisition of approximately 12 acres of waterfront land on Lake Washington Ship Canal in Seattle WA for environmental remediation and mixed use development. Post-remediation, pre-development value of approximately $35 Million.
- Represented lender in separate construction loans for self-storage facilities in Nassau County, NY ($23 Million), Willowbrook, IL ($9.2 Million) and Merrillville, IN ($2.5 Million).
- Represented retail developer in the acquisition, entitlement, financing, construction, and closing of a 225,000 square foot grocery and power center in Monroe, GA anchored by Publix, Marshalls, Ross, Ulta, Five Below, Planet Fitness, Rack Room and Petsense, with a completed value estimated at over $45 Million.
- Represent developer in the acquisition, entitlement, equitization, financing, development and construction of Publix anchored shopping centers in Gallatin and Murfreesboro, TN.
- Represented owner in separate sales of Publix anchored shopping centers in Weaverville and Waynesville, NC.
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Member, 1999-Present
- Economic Club of Chicago
- Member, 1988-Present
- Lewis University
- Board of Trustees, 2014-Present
- Stahl Family Charitable Foundation
- Trustee, 2001-Present