University of MichiganA.B., 1971
- With Highest Distinction
Harvard UniversityJ.D., 1974
- District of Columbia1979
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Banking & Finance Law, 2008-2021
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- Banking Law, 2007-2016
- DBusiness Magazine
- "Top Lawyers,"
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., and its affiliates
- Bank of America, N.A.
- Citizens Bank, N.A.
- Crestmark Bancorp, Inc. and its subsidiaries
- Mercantile Bank Corporation and its subsidiaries
- Visteon Corp.
- North Country Financial Corporation
- Royal Bank of Scotland PLC
- FCA US LLC
- Petroliam Nasional Berhad
Experienced in the following areas:
- International and domestic financial services
- Government regulation of financial institutions
- Mergers and acquisitions of financial institutions
- Corporate finance
- Consumer credit
- International operations and joint ventures
- Asset securitization
Counsel to banks in all types of international and domestic commercial and trade finance, including syndicated credits, derivatives, letters of credit and acceptances.
Advise depository institutions and holding companies, from money-center to community institutions, on governmental regulation of their structure, activities and transactions.
Counsel to depository institutions and holding companies responding to regulatory criticism or proceedings.
Advise depository institutions and holding companies seeking to raise capital or restructure in light of adverse economic conditions or regulatory concerns.
Represent financial institutions and holding companies in formation of U.S. and foreign subsidiaries, and in acquisition of other financial institutions, including representation of successful buyer in contested acquisition of publicly-held bank.
Counsel to financial institutions and other corporations in corporate financing activities, including derivatives and asset securitizations.
Counsel to financial institutions and other lenders in creating and maintaining multi-state consumer credit programs, including a nationwide private label credit card for a major U.S. automobile manufacturer.
U.S. counsel to agent bank on $1.2 billion syndicated secured international credit facility.
- American Law Institute, Life Member
- International, American, and Federal Bar Associations
- Former Director, Michigan Chamber of Commerce
- Former Director, Ann Arbor Summer Festival, Inc.
- Presenter, "Responding to the Banking and Credit Crisis," 25th Annual American Law Institute/American Bar Association National Institute on Commercial Lending and Banking Law, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2009
- Author, "The Federal Reserve Board and the Global Financial Crisis," in The Review of Banking & Financial Services, vol. 25, no. 3 (March, 2009)
- Author, "FDIC Highlights Brokered Deposits," The National Law Review (January 9, 2015), Lexology (January 13, 2015)
- Author, "Bank Regulators Require Changes to Tax Allocation Agreements," The National Law Review (June 13, 2014)
- Author, "CFPB Targets Companies' Duty to Investigate Consumer Disputes," The National Law Review (September 10, 2013)
- Author, "Basel III Lite: Regulators Adjust Capital Rules for Community Banks," The National Law Review (July 25, 2013)
- Author, "New Restrictions on Bank Payday Loans," The National Law Review (May 9, 2013)
- Author, "International Fund Transfer Rules Are Coming Soon," The National Law Review (November 22, 2012)