University of MichiganB.A., 1992
Temple UniversityJ.D., 1995
- cum laude
- Political and Civil Rights Law Review
- Clinical: Office of Philadelphia District Attorney
- Nat N. Wolfsohn Memorial Award for Excellence in Real Property
- The Legal 500 United States
- Dispute Resolution, General Commercial Disputes, 2020-2022
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- Business Litigation, 2017-2019
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Administrative/Regulatory Law, Commercial Litigation, 2012-2021
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan/Blue Care Network
- Continental Casualty Company (CNA)
- Eyde Company
- Gillespie Group
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association
- Urban Outfitters, Inc.
Prevailed in six-week jury trial on behalf of the Michigan Insurance Commissioner in case asserting fraud and constructive fraud claims against the officers and directors of a defunct Michigan property and casualty insurer.
Secured summary judgment, and then prevailed on appeal, in a matter brought by the Michigan Attorney General seeking to cause Michigan’s largest health insurer to divest itself of certain property and casualty insurance subsidiaries.
Successfully tried three-week bench trial on behalf global retailer and golf course resort, and prevailed again at the Court of Appeals, in quiet title action which threatened the continuing viability of the golf course.
Successfully defended in a three-week jury trial individuals and their start-up company in a "bet the business" case brought by the individuals' former employer for alleged violations of non-compete agreements and misappropriation of trade secrets.
Successfully represented ballot question committee in suit seeking writ of mandamus against the Secretary of State challenging the placement on the November ballot of a proposal to substantially amend the Michigan Constitution.
Prevailed for global retailer in a three-week bench trial, with the plaintiff landlord's claims dismissed at the close of its proofs followed by the retailer's full recovery on its counterclaim plus an award of attorney’s fees.
Successfully represented Michigan insurer in two putative class actions brought by health care providers alleging disparate treatment under the health code, and decertifying damages class.
Prevailed in bench trial on behalf of major national bank in an action against the receiver for breach of fiduciary duty.
Secured summary judgment dismissing putative national class action brought against major insurer by policyholders asserting fraud and breach of contract.
Prevailed after two-week arbitration representing Michigan’s largest health care company in fraud/conversion claim against a third-party administrator and its principals.
Successfully mediated claim on behalf of global retailer, wherein plaintiffs alleged Lanham Act and other statutory infringement claims, and claimed $50 MM plus in damages.
Prevailed for local developer against municipality which sought in the eleventh hour to revoke prior approvals for construction of "big box" retail facility.
Successfully tried prisoner’s rights, pro bono jury trial, in Section 1983 claim asserting that corrections officers forced inmates to fight for the officers’ entertainment.
- American Inns of Court, Barrister (MSU Chapter)
- Ingham County Bar Association
- "Supreme Court Helps Insurance Companies Fight 'Blackmail' Settlements and Exorbitant Discovery Costs in Class Action Litigation" (2008), Defense Research Institute
- "New Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: The Do’s and Don’ts of Electronic Discovery" (2007)
- Contributing author, "Unfair Competition" (ch. 5) in Michigan Business Torts, Pappas, Quick and McNeill (ICLE 2003)
- Contributing author, "Unfair Competition" (ch. 5) in Michigan Business Torts, Pappas, Quick and McNeill (ICLE 2009)