Kathy Le is Partner in the Toronto office of Dickinson Wright. As a member of the firm’s business transactions group, her practice includes a variety of corporate and commercial matters with a focus on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring and restructuring, commercial agreements and corporate governance.
Ryerson UniversityBachelor of Commerce, 2010
- CB Richard Ellis Year-End Scholarship in Real Estate (2009-2010)
University of WindsorJ.D., 2014
- Gowlings LLP Prize in Securities Regulation (2012-2013)
- Insolvency Institute of Canada, E. Bruce Leonard Prize in Insolvency & Restructuring (2012-2013)
- Kellerman Family Bursary in Insolvency & Restructuring (2012-2013)
Recent representative work includes:
- Acted for R.A.F. Industries, a private investment firm based in Philadelphia, in its acquisition of Hayabusa Fightwear Inc., a Canadian manufacturer of combat and fighting sports equipment and gear.
- Acted for Giraffe Foods Inc., a manufacturer of custom sauces, marinades, dips, and dressings throughout the U.S. and Canada and for Graham Partners, a private investment firm based in Philadelphia targeting technology-driven advanced manufacturing companies, in the sale of Giraffe Foods Inc. to Symrise AG, a global supplier of fragrances, flavorings, cosmetic active ingredients and raw materials, and functional ingredients.
- Acted for Zencity Technologies Ltd., a leading government technology community engagement start up based in Israel in its acquisition of Civil Space Engagement Inc., a digital civic engagement platform business based in Canada.
- Acted for Suzy’s Inc., a national Canadian women's fashion retailer with over 130 locations across Canada, in its acquisition of Le Château Inc.’s intellectual property and other assets in connection with Le Château’s creditor protection proceedings under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act and sales solicitation process
- Acted for Recast Software, a global leader in productivity and security tools for Systems Management, in its acquisition of Enhansoft, whose technology enables asset inventory retrieval and reporting within Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (MECM)
- Acted as the senior associate in the acquisition of Phoenix Manufacturing Ltd., a designer and manufacturer of UL certified, electrical insulating boots as well as the fluidized bed application of electrical busbar epoxy, based in Canada by Molded Devices Inc., an industry leader in the engineering and manufacturing of plastic components for the medical, energy and aerospace/defense industries, based in the United States
- Acted as the senior associate in the acquisition of Lounsbury Foods, a leading North American manufacturer of horseradish and seafood cocktail sauce, by Giraffe Foods
- Acted as the senior associate in the sale of Gusgo Transport, Seatainer Transport and Seatainer Terminals to TFI International, a North American leader in the transportation and logistics industry.
- Acted as Canadian counsel in the acquisition of Integrated Medhealth Communication, a UK-based healthcare communication and medical affairs consultancy business, by Waterland Private Equity.
- Acted as the senior associate in the sale of a plastic bag machinery manufacturing and distribution business.
- Acted as the senior associate in the acquisition of a custom orthotics, custom bracing, laser and shockwave therapy clinic from a diversified healthcare company
- Acted as the senior associate in the sale of International Language Academy of Canada, the largest private English language school in Canada, to ONCAP, a mid-market private equity platform of ONEX.
- Acted as the senior associate in the sale of a controlling interest of an Ontario Hockey League team
- Acted as the senior associate for the 51% joint venture owner of PharmHouse Inc., which guaranteed the obligations of PharmHouse Inc. under an $80 million syndicated credit facility from Bank of Montreal, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and Concentra Bank.
- Acted as the senior associate for PharmHouse Inc., a joint venture between Canopy Rivers and the principals and owners of leading North American greenhouse produce companies, in the acquisition of a 1.3 million square foot greenhouse facility located in Leamington, Ontario.
- Acted as the senior associate for the sale of Giraffe Foods Inc., a manufacturer of custom sauces, marinades, dips, and dressings for industrial food processor, retail, and foodservice customers throughout the U.S. and Canada, headquartered in Ontario, Canada, to Graham Partners, a U.S. private investment firm targeting industrial technology and advanced manufacturing companies.
- Acted as the senior associate for the sale of the Brimell Toyota dealership and CSN Collision Centre to Drive AutoGroup, comprising of an asset deal and share deal respectively. Concurrent with the asset and share deals, the property on which the Brimell Toyota dealership and CSN Collision Centre operated was sold to Automotive Properties Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) for approximately $26 million.
- Acted as the senior associate for PharmHouse Inc., a joint venture between Canopy Rivers and the principals and owners of leading North American greenhouse produce companies, which entered into a $40 million secured debt incremental funding agreement with its joint venture partner Canopy Rivers.
- Acted as the senior associate for the principals and owners of leading North American greenhouse produce companies, as majority joint venture owner, to create PharmHouse Inc., a joint venture with Canopy Rivers.
- Acted as the senior associate for the acquisition by Trade Finance Solutions Inc., a leading provider of domestic and international financing solutions for SME’s headquartered in Ontario, Canada, of Paragon Financial Group, Inc., a leading invoice-based finance company providing working capital solutions for growing companies throughout the US, headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Acted as the senior associate for Chiefs of Ontario on behalf of 129 First Nations in Ontario on the negotiation of the acquisition of 2.4% of Hydro One Limited from the Province of Ontario and a $260 million financing in connection with the purchase.
- Acted as the senior associate in the acquisition by The Sigma Group of the enhancement services business unit of Aimia Inc.
- Acted as the senior associate in the acquisition by Applied Industrial Technologies, a leading industrial distributor that also provides engineering, design and systems integration for industrial and fluid power applications, as well as customized mechanical, fabricated rubber and fluid power shop services, headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, of Seals Unlimited, a distributor of sealing, fastener and hose products, located in Burlington, Ontario.
Other representative work includes:
- Structuring, negotiating, drafting and advising on all types of domestic and cross-border transactional matters and arrangements of all sizes.
- Negotiating, drafting and advising on ownership agreements (shareholder, partnership and joint venture agreements).
- Drafting and advising on corporate structuring, restructurings, reorganizations and recapitalizations of all sizes.
- Negotiating, drafting and advising on all types of commercial agreements (franchise, distribution, licensing, service, supply and confidentiality agreements).
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Ontario Bar Association, Member
- Law Society of Upper Canada, Member
- Lawyers Associated Worldwide, Member
- Association for Corporate Growth, Member
- Panel Discussion Moderator, “Family Offices and Business Succession”, Association for Corporate Growth 17th Annual Capital Connection Conference (November 2019)
- Co-Presenter, “Two Way Trading Relationship: Doing Business in Canada and the United States”, Lorman Education Services (November 2019)
- Sponsor, “Legal Expert” Roundtable Host and Judge – “Breakfast with Brands & Lunch: Automotive Sector/ WBE Canada Accelerator Awards” (April 2017)
- Panel Discussion Moderator – “WBE Canada National Conference and Matchmaker: Ignite and Innovate (September 2016)
- Sponsor and “Legal Expert” Roundtable Host – “WBE Canada Breakfast with Brands & Lunch: Windsor Event” (July 2016)
- Co-Author, Practical Law (Thomson Reuters) Global Guide, Q&A Guide to Franchising in Canada
- Co-Presenter – “Common Challenges in Franchise and Not-For-Profit Practice,” The Institute of Legal Clerks of Ontario – Advanced Corporate Program, November 2015.
- Co-Author – Michael Weinczok and Kathy Le, “Canada” in Gregor Baer and Karen O'Flynn, Financing Company Group Restructurings, (UK: Oxford University Press, 2015).
- Co-Author – David Preger and Kathy Le, “Priority Issues under the Construction Lien Act” (Paper delivered at the Law Society of Upper Canada, Commercial Priorities for Real Estate and Business Lawyers 2015, 24 February 2015).