John has served as lead counsel in numerous mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, financing transactions, real estate acquisition and dispositions, business divestures and other related transactions.
University of Notre DameB.B.A., 1996
University of Detroit Mercy School of LawJ.D., 2006
- cum laude
- Editor-in-Chief, University of Detroit Mercy Law Review
- Justice Frank Murphy Honor Society
- Jerome P. Cavanagh Memorial Scholarship
- Listed in Grand Rapids Magazine Top Lawyers, 2019
- Recognized as Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500, 2019
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2018
- Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star" 2013-2016
- Named a 2012 "Up and Coming Lawyer" by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
Counsel small and large businesses with respect to general business, corporate planning and governance issues. Serve as outside general to closely held and ESOP-owned companies of varying sizes and industries.
Extensive experience implementing and executing mergers, acquisitions and divestitures of corporate assets for private equity firms and strategic buyers and sellers, with transactions ranging in value up to $100 million.
Lead counsel to private equity funds regarding structure, acquisitions and dispositions, and post-closing general counsel representation of portfolio companies.
Counsel businesses and individuals in real estate purchase, sale, and leasing transactions. Real estate counsel to Michigan State Building Authority for bond offerings to support university and municipal facilities.
Extensive involvement in contractual and real estate matters relating to alternative energy projects. Served as counsel to either developers or lenders in connection with nine of the twelve largest wind farms in the State of Michigan, including financings ranging up to $1 billion.
- Association for Corporate Growth, West Michigan Chapter
- Programming Committee
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section, member of Section Council
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Kent District Library Development Board
- Saint Thomas the Apostle School Board (2012-2018)
- President (2016-2018)
- Cub Scout Pack 3217, Den Leader
- Michigan Branch, International Dyslexia Association Board of Directors
- Michigan Street Corridor Plan Steering Committee Member
- Presenter, Fundamentals of Purchase Agreements, Real Property Law Section 2014 Summer Conference, State Bar of Michigan
- Discussion Leader, Dealing With Distressed Properties, Real Property Law Section, State Bar of Michigan (October 2012)
- Co-Author, "Michigan Corporate Law Summary," Practical Law Company, Inc. (July 2012)
- "Section 488 Revisited: Opportunities for Flexible Governance for Michigan Corporations," Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol. 31, Issue 3 (Fall 2011)
- Co-Author, “Current Asset Dispositions: REO Sales--The Lender’s Viewpoint,” Real Property Law Section 2011 Summer Conference
- "Stimulus Plan Holds Opportunities for Business: Energy-Related Provisions," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, February 2009
- "Detroit's Renaissance Zones: The Economics of Tax Incentives in Metropolitan Location Decisions, the Results of the Zones to Date, and Thoughts on the Future," 83 U. Det. Mercy L. Rev. 329 (2006), reprinted in 17 Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives 8, November/December 2007