University of Notre DameB.B.A., 1996
University of Detroit Mercy School of LawJ.D., 2006
- cum laude
- Editor-in-Chief, University of Detroit Mercy Law Review
- Justice Frank Murphy Honor Society
- Jerome P. Cavanagh Memorial Scholarship
- Named a 2012 "Up and Coming Lawyer" by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star"
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, NA
John Schuring is a member in the Grand Rapids office, and counsels both small and large businesses with respect to general business and corporate planning issues. John is experienced in implementing and executing mergers, acquisitions and divestitures of corporate assets. He frequently counsels businesses and individuals in real estate purchase, sale, and leasing transactions. John has extensive experience with negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts of all types, including supply and distribution agreements. He advises lenders and borrowers in connection with commercial loan transactions, and counsels clients with respect to debtor-creditor rights issues.
Prior to attending law school, John gained extensive experience in account management for a global advertising agency.
Assisted Debtor’s lead bankruptcy counsel in administration of large Chapter 11 case; responsible for closing of $75 million sale of Debtor’s assets under section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
Extensive involvement in contractual and real estate matters relating to alternative energy projects.
Served as counsel to either developers or lenders in connection with nine of the twelve largest wind farms in the State of Michigan, including financings ranging up to $1 billion.
Negotiated and closed note sales and deed-in-lieu transactions regarding large residential real estate developments.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Co-Chair, Residential Transactions Committee, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- St. Thomas the Apostle Parish School Board
- Kent District Library Fund Development Board
- Michigan Branch, International Dyslexia Association Board of Directors
- Michigan Street Corridor Plan Steering Committee Member
- Presenter, Fundamentals of Purchase Agreements, Real Property Law Section 2014 Summer Conference, State Bar of Michigan
- Discussion Leader, Dealing With Distressed Properties, Real Property Law Section, State Bar of Michigan (October 2012)
- Co-Author, "Michigan Corporate Law Summary," Practical Law Company, Inc. (July 2012)
- "Section 488 Revisited: Opportunities for Flexible Governance for Michigan Corporations," Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol. 31, Issue 3 (Fall 2011)
- Co-Author, “Current Asset Dispositions: REO Sales--The Lender’s Viewpoint,” Real Property Law Section 2011 Summer Conference
- "Stimulus Plan Holds Opportunities for Business: Energy-Related Provisions," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, February 2009
- "Detroit's Renaissance Zones: The Economics of Tax Incentives in Metropolitan Location Decisions, the Results of the Zones to Date, and Thoughts on the Future," 83 U. Det. Mercy L. Rev. 329 (2006), reprinted in 17 Journal of Multistate Taxation and Incentives 8, November/December 2007