Jeff also has worked with many businesses in Michigan and elsewhere on organizational structure and operational matters. He counsels business owners and executives on the use of limited liability companies, profit and non-profit corporations, limited liability partnerships and limited partnerships to achieve their succession, diversification, growth or reorganization objectives, including business transition, ownership/management conflicts, and shareholder, member or partner buy-outs. Jeff also counsels businesses on contractual matters, including non-competition and confidentiality agreements, supplier and customer agreements, as well as issues relating to personal property sales, leases and security interests.
Alma CollegeB.A., 1984
- cum laude
- with honors
Indiana University School of Business (Bloomington)M.B.A., 1988
- magna cum laude
Indiana University School of Law (Bloomington)J.D., 1988
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Indiana Law Journal, Associate and Managing Editor
- Grand Rapids Magazine "Top Lawyer," 2019
- The Legal 500 United States "Recommended Lawyers," 2019
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America
- Corporate Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
$57.5 million sale of distribution company to a publicly traded company.
Negotiated License, Supply and Distribution Agreement for a national craft brewery business.
$11 million asset sale of manufacturing company.
$160 million asset sale as of truck remanufacturing company.
$580 million stock sale of a telecommunications business to a publicly traded company.
$170 million asset sale of a vehicle parts business.
$10 million sale of a family-run food manufacturer.
Sale of a tool and die business to a privately held investment group.
$100+ million sale of a niche automotive parts manufacturer with plants throughout the world to a private equity fund.
$150 million asset sale of a long distance carrier to a publicly traded company.
$10 million asset sale of a family owned chain of retail stores.
$26 million merger of a local exchange company.
$35 million sale of an office equipment vendor to a publicly traded company.
Sale of various mechanical and heating and cooling companies to a publicly traded "roll-up" firm.
$10 million sale of a construction company.
Acquisition of a privately-held furniture manufacturer.
Merger of a credit union into its largest competitor.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth – West Michigan, Board Member
- Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce, Small Business Celebration Committee
- City of Walker Building Authority
- Kenowa Hills High School, Varsity Basketball Coach
- Alma College, Fundraising Campaign, Grand Rapids Region Leadership Team; Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, Board of Advisors
- Grand Valley State University, Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, Board of Advisors
- Kenowa Hills Citizens for the Schools of Tomorrow, Co-Chairperson
- Kenowa Hills Education Foundation, Board of Directors and President
- Pilgrim Manor Foundation, Board of Trustees and President
- Pilgrim Manor, Inc., Trustee and Board President
- Samaritan Center of West Michigan, Board of Directors
- Trinity Congregational Church, Moderator, Endowment Fund Committee, Secretary, Church Council