Jim Tyrrell has provided strategic political law and nonprofit counsel to a wide range of corporate and political clients nationally for over a decade. Jim helps corporations, tax-exempt organizations, trade associations, individuals, officeholders, candidates, and political committees navigate the evolving laws governing the political process and address complex issues at the intersection of law, politics, policy and government.
Jim’s political law practice includes advising clients on compliance with federal and state campaign finance laws, government ethics rules, lobbying disclosure, and pay-to-play laws. He represents clients in enforcement actions, investigations, audits, and advisory opinion requests before the Federal Election Commission and state election enforcement agencies. He litigates before federal and state courts with respect to issues of election law and campaign finance, constitutional law and redistricting. He also counsels organizations, companies, Members of Congress and congressional staff, and Executive Branch officials and nominees, regarding compliance with conflict of interest, ethics, financial disclosure, and lobbying laws.
In Jim’s nonprofit practice, he advises a wide variety of tax-exempt organizations on compliance with federal and state nonprofit, corporate and tax laws, including laws and rules governing social welfare organizations, public charities, private foundations, and donor advised funds.
Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, Jim was a partner in the political law and nonprofit practices of a national AmLaw 100 firm. Earlier in his career, Jim served on the legal team for the 2016-17 Presidential Transition. He also clerked for the Chairman of the Federal Election Commission.
Catholic University of America, Columbus School of LawJ.D., 2010
- Note and Comment Editor, Journal of Contemporary Health Law & Policy
University of PennsylvaniaB.A., Philosophy, Politics and Economics, 2003
- Member of Division 1 Men’s Lacrosse Team
- District of Columbia
- Super Lawyers
- Rising Star, Washington, DC, 2017 – 2020
- D.C. Courts, Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, High Honors (2021)
- Political law and ethics counsel to numerous Members of Congress and their reelection campaigns
- Political law and ethics counsel to multiple Fortune 500 companies, assisting companies develop and implement comprehensive corporate political and pay-to-play compliance programs
- Outside general counsel to U.S. Senate campaign in over $100+ million race
- Outside general counsel to multiple prominent gubernatorial and state attorneys general campaigns
- Counsel to two of the largest single-candidate Super PACs in U.S. history
- Political law counsel to multiple state and national trade and professional associations
- Obtained dismissal of highly publicized FEC complaint against a prominent national nonprofit organization
- Secured dismissals and favorable settlements in numerous high profile FEC and state campaign finance enforcement matters
- Obtained permanent injunction against enforcement of Louisiana law regulating independent expenditures in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- Obtained dismissals of multiple Office of Congressional Ethics and House Ethics Committee investigations into Members of Congress and congressional staff
- Counseled Ambassadorial nominees and Executive Branch officials on their public financial disclosure obligations and negotiated ethics agreements with the U.S. Office of Government Ethics
- Secured tax-exempt status for numerous nonprofit organization clients and assisted 501(c)(3) public charities and 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations navigate the exempt organizations enforcement and audit processes
- Federalist Society
- Republican National Lawyers Association
- College to Congress, Pro-Bono Counsel
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Lobbying and Political Activities for Non-Profits, Lawline CLE (July 2022)
- Applying for 501(c)(3) Status: Including drafting bylaws, lobbying, and political restrictions, Session II – Lobbying and Political Activities for Non-profits, myLawCLE and Federal Bar Association (June 2022)
- Essentials of Political Law: Ramping Up for the 2020 Elections, Virginia CLE (January 2020)
- Navigating Campaign Law, School of Public & International Affairs, University of Georgia, Department of Political Science 75th Anniversary Visiting Practitioners Symposium (April 2017)