David Thompson's practice encompasses corporate, health care, transactional, and related business matters, with particular emphasis on providing counsel to management of small to mid-size companies. He regularly represents buyers and sellers of closely-held businesses in the negotiation, documentation, and closing of purchase and sale transactions. David also represents health care providers, including physician and other professional groups, diagnostic imaging centers, clinical laboratories and others in both business and regulatory settings.
David has substantial experience in corporate matters, assisting clients with securities offerings, M&A transactions, and secured lending. David has represented clients in administrative proceedings and investigations involving federal and state securities, trade, and banking agencies.
In the health care space, David provides guidance to health care clients regarding federal and state fraud and abuse laws, including Stark and the Anti-Kickback Statute, HIPAA, electronic health records, business transactions, joint ventures, physician recruitment, and Accountable Care Organizations. He also drafts corporate agreements, including physician and mid-level provider employment agreements, and represents providers before various regulatory boards.
Amherst CollegeB.A., 1979
- magna cum laude
University of VirginiaJ.D., 1982
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Peer Review Rating
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Corporate Governance and Corporate Compliance, 2013-2021
- "Lawyer of the Year," Corporate Compliance Law, 2020
- AZ Business Magazine
- "Top Lawyers List," Construction and Corporate Law, 2011
- Represented large medical practice in its acquisition by the largest physician-led practice in that specialty in the country.
- Represented groups of physicians in a particular specialty which formed a joint venture with a national finance partner for development and operation of a free-standing facility for performance of certain medical procedures at the facility.
- Represented operators of an in-hospital cath lab in connection with renegotiation of the management agreement with the hospital.
- Representation of leading health care technology company on their expansion into Arizona. Worked with a major private equity firm to secure funding and assisted with all contract affiliations with leading cancer specialists throughout the state.
- Counsel to various publicly-traded and closely-held clients in connection with their mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, divestitures, spinoffs, and recapitalizations. In 2017, led efforts in merger and acquisition transactions with a combined dollar value of over $424 million.
- Representing a state medical association to review and revise the organization’s corporate documents, including their bylaws.
- American Bar Association
- Actively involved in fundraising and other alumni activities for Amherst College
- Member and chairman of the Board of Directors, Ballet Arizona, 2004-2010
- Guest speaker (numerous occasions), Securities Aspects of Real Estate Development, Arizona State University Masters of Real Estate Development program