Brian Hembd, a commercial litigator in Dickinson Wright’s Phoenix office, represents individuals and businesses of all sizes. He has handled a wide range of commercial litigation matters for clients across the nation in state and federal courts, in arbitration, and on appeal. His experience includes cases involving breach of contract, professional liability, intellectual property, labor and employment, securities violations, consumer fraud, ERISA and employee benefits, and more. Brian’s clients trust him to bring strategic solutions aimed at accomplishing their long term business goals.
Education & Credentials
University of Chicago Law SchoolJ.D.
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Equal Justice America Summer Fellowship
Arizona State UniversityB.S., Finance and Management
- summa cum laude
- Honors College
- Dean's List
- Department of Management Outstanding Student
- Phoenix Society of Financial Analysts Scholar
- Best Lawyers in America
- Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, 2021-2023
- Litigation – Antitrust, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions, 2023
- Defended large automobile insurer against nationwide class action claim alleging breach of insurance agreement and potential exposure in excess of $1 billion. Obtained order striking the nationwide class, and the state-only class action was dismissed with prejudice.
- Briefed and argued motion for summary judgment on liability, leading to second highest jury verdict in Arizona in 2018 of $8 million in damages.
- Obtained complete dismissal of class action brought against healthcare client where plaintiffs estimated damages were $30 million.
- Successfully defended client in evidentiary hearing and at Arizona Court of Appeals with over $900,000 in damages in dispute.
- Second-chaired arbitration with over $1,700,000 in dispute.
- Successfully represented lawyers, accountants, and other professionals in dismissal of professional liability allegations.
- Toastmasters International
- Vice President, June 2016 – Present
- Arizona Bar Association
- Member, June 2012 - Present
Brian’s community involvement has focused on Arizona’s homeless population. He has served them in pro bono matters and routinely volunteers with the Valley’s food banks.