Aaron Burrell is a business lawyer who focuses his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation, appellate law, labor and employment law, and minority business enterprises.
As a member of the firm’s litigation practice, he has prevailed in numerous complex, commercial-litigation cases in a number of state and federal trial courts and courts of appeal. As a member of the firm’s labor and employment practice, he has successfully defended clients in a wide range of discrimination and unfair-labor-practice claims in state and federal courts and administrative agencies, and he has counseled clients on all aspects of the employment relationship, including hiring, discipline, and the creation and enforcement of employment agreements. Mr. Burrell has further advised entertainment and minority business enterprise clients on a wide array of corporate matters.
Mr. Burrell is a member of the Board of Commissioners of the State Bar of Michigan, as well as an officer on its Representative Assembly; is a member of the Board of Directors of the Oakland County Bar Association; is a past-president of the D. Augustus Straker Bar Association and vice president of the D. Augustus Straker Bar Foundation; was named a foundation fellow of both the American Bar Foundation and the Oakland County Bar Foundation; served as affiliate representative of the National Bar Association; and he previously co-chaired the State Bar of Michigan’s Equal Access Initiative. He has been named an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by Michigan Lawyers Weekly and a “Rising Star” by Michigan Super Lawyers. Mr. Burrell is an active member of the Wolverine Bar Association, Detroit Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. Mr. Burrell is the author of the Commercial Torts chapter of Torts: Michigan Law and Practice (ICLE 2017), a contributor to “Employment Discrimination Law” (BNA, 2017), and a co-author of the “Michigan Class Action Compendium” (Defense Research Institute).
The University of MichiganB.A., 2007
- With Distinction
Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law SchoolJ.D., 2010
- Magna Cum Laude
- Assistant Articles Editor:Thomas M. Cooley Law Review
- Certificates of Merit:
- Scholarly Writing
- Advanced Writing
- Federal Administrative Law
- Moot Court: Top 10 Advocate
- Teaching Assistant: Secured Transactions
Central Michigan UniversityM.S. Administration, Legal and Political Systems Emphasis, 2017
- Crain's Detroit Business – 40 Under 40 Honoree (2019)
- President’s Award – Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association Barristers
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly – Up & Coming Lawyer
- Michigan Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- Straker Bar Foundation Scholarship Award Winner (2008)
- Thomas M. Cooley Leadership Achievement Award Winner (2009)
- Microsoft Corporation
- J.P. Morgan Chase
- Bank of America
- Horizon Global
- Oakland County
- Enbridge Energy, Limited Partnership
- Grupo Antolin Primera
- Detroit Thermal Systems, LLC
- Sears Hometown and Outlet Stores
- Served as lead counsel in successful actions before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the Michigan Supreme Court, and the Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Prevailed in multiple arbitrations as lead counsel for national automotive manufacturer.
- Successfully defended numerous employers against claims of discrimination in state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
- Successfully obtained summary disposition in favor of numerous clients in contract disputes.
- Successfully obtained summary disposition of claims in business tort actions involving fraudulent inducement and fraudulent concealment.
- Advised a variety of clients on Minority Business Enterprise formation, certification, and corporate governance issues.
- Advised clients regarding corporate director disputes and a variety of internal corporate matters.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Commissioner, State Bar of Michigan Board of Commissioners
- Officer, State Bar of Michigan Representative Assembly
- Former Co-Chair of the Equal Access Initiative
- Collaborative Bar Leadership Academy, Inaugural Class
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, Board Member
- D. Augustus Straker Bar Association
- Past President, Board of Directors
- Vice President, D. Augustus Straker Bar Foundation
- National Bar Association
- Past Affiliate Representative, Board of Governors
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Director, Board of Directors
- Fellow, Oakland County Bar Foundation
- Member of OCBA Diversity Committee
- Associate Member of OCBA Inns of Court
- Detroit Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Wolverine Bar Association
- David Ellis Academy-West Board of Directors
- Greater Grace Temple
- Associate Deacon, Finance Committee
- Pretty Hearts Foundation, Inc.
- Judicial Staff Attorney, Law Clerk to the Hon. Leo Bowman, Sixth Judicial Circuit Court, Oakland County (2010)
- Summer Associate, Dickinson Wright PLLC (2009)
- Federal Judicial Intern to the Hon. Arthur J. Tarnow, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (2008)
- Intern to Mayor Brenda L. Lawrence, City of Southfield
- Completed SCAO-Approved Mediation Training, Certified Mediator
- Aaron V. Burrell, Employee Termination (On-Demand Seminar) (Institute of Continuing Legal Education) (July 2018)
- Aaron V. Burrell, Michigan Court of Appeals Offers Guidance to Employers in Documenting Reasons for Hiring, Promotions (Industry Alerts) (March 2018)
- Aaron V. Burrell, Supreme Court Takes Up Arbitration Agreements in the Context of Section 7 of NLRA (Industry Alerts) (November 2017)
- Co-Author, Business Law Update 2017 (Institute of Continuing Legal Education) (September 2017)
- Aaron V. Burrell, Torts: Michigan Law and Practice, Chapter 14: Commercial Torts, (publication of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education) (January 2017).
- Aaron V. Burrell, How to Maintain a Legal Hiring Process – Find, Hire Keep the Best Employees (Seminar) (October 2016)
- Co-Author, Employment Discrimination Law, Chapter 10, Sex Discrimination (a publication of BNA) (Fall 2016).
- Co-Author, Michigan Class Action Compendium 2014 (publication of the Defense Research Institute) (November 2014).
- Aaron V. Burrell, Diversity Corner, Spotlight on Michelle Crockett, Laches (publication of the Oakland Co. B. Assoc.) (January 2014)
- Aaron V. Burrell, Diversity Corner, Spotlight on Reginald Turner, Laches (publication of the Oakland Co. B. Assoc.) (October 2013)
- Co-Author, NLRB focus on concerted activity increases litigation against non-unionized employers, Michigan Lawyer’s Weekly (March 2013)
- Co-Author, Preparing for and Managing Crises, DRI Commercial Litigation Seminar Paper (February 2013)
- Aaron V. Burrell, An Update On the State Bar’s Pledge to Achieve Diversity with Dean John Nussbaumer, 546 Laches (publication of the Oakland Co. B. Assoc.) 33 (March 2012)
- Co-Author, What Does Diversity Look Like To You?, 539 Laches (publication of the Oakland Co. B. Assoc.) 28 (June 2011).
- Contributed to Michigan Business Torts, Ch. 12, “Claims Concerning Computer Technology and the Internet,” Edward H. Pappas, Thomas G. McNeill, and Daniel D. Quick (ICLE 2009).