We previously distributed two Client Alerts with respect to the new employer obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (“AODA”). See links below for our Client Alerts dated January 16, 2013 and October 15, 2015.
To summarize, the AODA mandates the following:
- Customer Service Standard
- Information and Communications Standard
- Employment Standard
- Transportation Standard
- Design of Public Spaces Standard
Note that a new requirement under of the AODA will come into effect:
December 31, 2017
By this date, all businesses/organizations having 20 or more employees must file an online AODA compliance report with the Government of Ontario confirming its continued compliance with the AODA.
Failure to comply with reporting (and other obligations) under the AODA could result in:
- a fine of up to $100,000 per day for a corporation/organization that is found guilty; and
- a fine of up to $50,000 per day for directors and officers of a corporation/organization that is found guilty.
Prior Client Alert links: AODA Reporting and New Ontario Accessibility Laws Take Effect January 1
This Client Alert is published by Dickinson Wright LLP to inform our clients and friends of important developments in the field of labour and employment law . The content is informational only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We encourage you to consult a Dickinson Wright lawyer if you have specific questions or concerns relating to any of the topics covered in here.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
W. Eric Kay is a partner in Dickinson Wright’s Toronto Office and can be reached at 416.777.4011 or email@example.com
Andrew J. Skinner is a partner in Dickinson Wright’s Toronto Office and can be reached at 416.777.4033 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like a printable version of client alert, click here.
- April 25, 2019 In the News Dickinson Wright Receives Tops Rankings in 2019 Chambers USA Guide; 42 Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in their Fields
- March 2019 Industry Alerts Employment Law Issues Continue to Evolve with Hairstyle, Sex Gossip, and Emotional Outburst Disability Protections
- January 2019 Industry Alerts NLRB Focuses on “Entrepreneurial Opportunity” to Return to Pre-Obama Board Independent Contractor Test
- January 2019 Industry Alerts New Ohio Law on Joint Employer Status Limits Franchisors from State Employment Laws
- December 2018 Industry Alerts Governor Snyder Implements Changes To Michigan’s Minimum Wage And Sick Leave Laws
- November 2018 Industry Alerts What Employers Need to Know About Employee Marijuana Use Under Proposal 1
- November 2018 Industry Alerts Mid-Term Election Fever: Coming to a Workplace Near You
- October 10, 2018 In the News Dickinson Wright's Employment Practice Recognized on the Phoenix Business Journal Law Practices List
- August 03, 2018 Seminars Sunrise Seminar - #YouToo Can Do More to Address and Prevent Sexual Harassment in the Workplace on August 3, 2018