What is a Construction Holdback and How Does it Affect Homeowners?
Most homeowners are unaware of this concept and, as a result, can lose significant sums of money when renovating their homes.
How it Works:
Suppose your contractor bills you $100,000 for constructing parts of the residence. If you are unaware of what a ‘holdback’ is, you would probably pay the contractor that amount in full. That would be wrong.
If you pay that amount, and for some reason the contractor fails to pay his subcontractor the amount the subcontractor is owed for his labour and materials (which happens more than you think), the subcontractor can sue you personally for up to 10% of the amount you paid. In this example, you would be required to pay the subcontractor an additional $10,000, thus bringing your total to $110,000, even though you already paid the contractor for the subcontractor’s work.
Construction projects are expensive, and this simple mistake can repeat itself over and over. If the entire project is worth $1 million, and you paid your contractor that amount in full without holding back 10%, you could be personally liable to pay the subcontractor an additional $100,000.
How to avoid this mistake:
Be sure to hold back 10% of all amounts you pay your contractor until the residence is completed and approved.
- September 24, 2020 In the News Dickinson Wright Ranked Number Two in Midwest Real Estate News “Best of the Best”
- September 23, 2020 Webinars Political and Policy Advocacy for 501[c](4) Organizations in Kentucky
- September 23, 2020 Industry Alerts DW China Trade Update (35th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十五期)
- September 23, 2020 Blogs 特急の審査が必要な雇用主・従業員のためのプレミアム・プロセスが今月再開します。| Premium Processing Resumes This Month for Desperate Employers and Their Employees
- September 2020 Blogs 米国移民局の予算危機と米国移民制度への潜在的影響 | The USCIS Budget Crisis and Its Potential Impact on the U.S. Immigration System
- September 18, 2020 In the News Fifty-Two Dickinson Wright Attorneys Named 2020 Michigan Super Lawyers, Twenty-Five Named Rising Stars
- September 18, 2020 In the News Five Dickinson Wright Attorneys Named to Michigan Super Lawyers 2020 Top Lists
- September 16, 2020 Industry Alerts WTO Ruling Finds U.S. in Violation of International Regulations by Imposing Section 301 Tariffs on Chinese Imports | 世贸组织裁决美国对华征收301条款关税违反国际法规
- September 15, 2020 In the News Two Dickinson Wright Lawyers Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Chambers Canada