Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
What is a Construction Holdback and How Does it Affect Homeowners?
Most homeowners are unaware of this concept and, as a result, can lose significant sums of money when renovating their homes.
How it Works:
Suppose your contractor bills you $100,000 for constructing parts of the residence. If you are unaware of what a ‘holdback’ is, you would probably pay the contractor that amount in full. That would be wrong.
If you pay that amount, and for some reason the contractor fails to pay his subcontractor the amount the subcontractor is owed for his labour and materials (which happens more than you think), the subcontractor can sue you personally for up to 10% of the amount you paid. In this example, you would be required to pay the subcontractor an additional $10,000, thus bringing your total to $110,000, even though you already paid the contractor for the subcontractor’s work.
Construction projects are expensive, and this simple mistake can repeat itself over and over. If the entire project is worth $1 million, and you paid your contractor that amount in full without holding back 10%, you could be personally liable to pay the subcontractor an additional $100,000.
How to avoid this mistake:
Be sure to hold back 10% of all amounts you pay your contractor until the residence is completed and approved.
- July 22, 2021 In the News Two Dickinson Wright Attorneys Recognized in Benchmark Litigation’s 2021 “40 and Under Hot List”
- July 22, 2021 In the News Dickinson Wright Receives Top Rankings in Chambers 2021 High Net Worth Guide
- July 22, 2021 Industry Alerts Kris Beecher Featured on Minutes on the Matter on United States v. Cooley
- July 21, 2021 Industry Alerts DW-China Trade Update (38th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十八期)
- July 20, 2021 Media Mentions Rose Willis Quoted by Modern Healthcare on Right-to-Repair Executive Order's Impact on Healthcare Costs
- July 20, 2021 Media Mentions Wendy Hulton Featured in Canadian Lawyer Magazine on New Federal Privacy Legislation
- July 20, 2021 Media Mentions Fredric Bellamy Featured In Tech Republic on Accelerating Ransomware Attacks
- July 19, 2021 Media Mentions Dickinson Wright Featured in Law360 on New IP Lawyers
- July 16, 2021 In the News Ronald A. Damashek Named Finalist for Illinois Real Estate Journal’s 2021 Real Estate Lawyer of the Year