Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
What is a Construction Holdback and How Does it Affect Homeowners?
Most homeowners are unaware of this concept and, as a result, can lose significant sums of money when renovating their homes.
How it Works:
Suppose your contractor bills you $100,000 for constructing parts of the residence. If you are unaware of what a ‘holdback’ is, you would probably pay the contractor that amount in full. That would be wrong.
If you pay that amount, and for some reason the contractor fails to pay his subcontractor the amount the subcontractor is owed for his labour and materials (which happens more than you think), the subcontractor can sue you personally for up to 10% of the amount you paid. In this example, you would be required to pay the subcontractor an additional $10,000, thus bringing your total to $110,000, even though you already paid the contractor for the subcontractor’s work.
Construction projects are expensive, and this simple mistake can repeat itself over and over. If the entire project is worth $1 million, and you paid your contractor that amount in full without holding back 10%, you could be personally liable to pay the subcontractor an additional $100,000.
How to avoid this mistake:
Be sure to hold back 10% of all amounts you pay your contractor until the residence is completed and approved.
- November 3, 2021 Webinars Protecting Software Intellectual Property in Electric and Autonomous Vehicle Technologies
- November 03, 2021 Webinars Automotive Industry Electrification: Protecting Software Intellectual Property in Electric and Autonomous Vehicle Technologies | 電気および自動運転車技術におけるソフトウェアの知的財産の保護
- October 20, 2021 Webinars North America's Drive Towards Electrification: How East Asia Factors into the Equation
- October 20, 2021 Webinars Automotive Industry Electrification: North America's Drive Towards Electrification: How East Asia Factors into the Equation | 北米の電動化への動き: 東アジアではどうなるのか
- October 18, 2021 Blogs Key September USCIS Process Updates | 9月の米国移民局の手続きに関する主なアップデート
- October 14, 2021 Media Mentions Jeff Silver Interviewed in Nevada Newsmakers on His Career
- October 08, 2021 Industry Alerts Key September USCIS Process Updates
- October 08, 2021 Media Mentions Rose Willis Included in Hospital Peer Review on Telehealth Credentials
- October 07, 2021 In the News John Schuring Appointed as Chair of Business Law Section of Michigan State Bar