- Jodka, Sara H.
- Media Mentions
Sara Jodka (Member, Columbus) spoke with International Financial Law Review about how companies in the United States have reacted to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), which goes into effect on January 1, 2020. The law, which is frequently compared to the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), was written for a smaller market than the GDPR and includes weaker requirements for corporations. In effect, the law allows companies to enact band-aid solutions until a breach occurs, at which point they are given 30 days to fix it without penalty. The CCPA’s implementation prompted speculation that the US would move towards a federal data protection framework, which Sara believes should be approached with caution.
“I would not want to see a federal privacy law unless it pre-empts state law because, if there is a federal law that doesn’t, companies will still have to comply with all the state laws and also comply with the federal law,” Sara told the publication. “For states that doesn’t have their own laws, I think a federal law would be appropriate to protect personal information.”
- December 4, 2019 Webinars The CCPA Update: What the Amendments and the Attorney General's Regulations Really Mean for Your Business
- October 2019 Media Mentions Sara Jodka Discusses Cyber Insurance with CreditCards.com
- September 2019 Industry Alerts CCPA Amendments Pass Adding Some Clarity to Scope and Industry Breathing Room, Especially to B2B Businesses
- September 2019 Industry Alerts Nevada's New Privacy Bill Requires Website Operators That Collect Information About Consumers to Update Privacy Policies by October 1, 2019
- August 30, 2019 Media Mentions Sara Jodka Quoted by Law.com on Amazon Data Collection
- August 28, 2019 Media Mentions Sara Jodka Quoted by Law.com on Recording Consent Laws
- July 17, 2019 Webinars A Step-by-Step Guide Through California's (and now Nevada's) Consumer Privacy Acts
- July 15, 2019 Media Mentions Sara Jodka Quoted by TheLaw.com on Amazon Alexa Recordings
- July 15, 2019 Media Mentions Sara Jodka Quoted in Wall Street Journal Article on Federal Cybersecurity Help for Cities, States