- Jodka, Sara H.
- Media Mentions
Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
Sara Jodka (Member, Columbus) spoke with International Financial Law Review about how companies in the United States have reacted to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), which goes into effect on January 1, 2020. The law, which is frequently compared to the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), was written for a smaller market than the GDPR and includes weaker requirements for corporations. In effect, the law allows companies to enact band-aid solutions until a breach occurs, at which point they are given 30 days to fix it without penalty. The CCPA’s implementation prompted speculation that the US would move towards a federal data protection framework, which Sara believes should be approached with caution.
“I would not want to see a federal privacy law unless it pre-empts state law because, if there is a federal law that doesn’t, companies will still have to comply with all the state laws and also comply with the federal law,” Sara told the publication. “For states that doesn’t have their own laws, I think a federal law would be appropriate to protect personal information.”
- March 14, 2023 Industry Alerts FTC Bans BetterHelp, Inc. From Revealing Consumers’ Sensitive Health Data to Third Parties for Advertising
- July 5, 2022 In the News Sara Jodka Named to National Law Journal’s 2022 Employment Law Trailblazers List
- June 28, 2022 Media Mentions Wendy Hulton Quoted by Canadian Lawyer Magazine on Proposed Federal Privacy Law
- February 24, 2022 In the News Sean Gouhin Joins Dickinson Wright Columbus Office
- December 28, 2021 Media Mentions Fredric Bellamy Quoted by Law360 on the Biggest Privacy Developments in 2021
- July 20, 2021 Media Mentions Fredric Bellamy Featured In Tech Republic on Accelerating Ransomware Attacks
- July 20, 2021 Media Mentions Wendy Hulton Featured in Canadian Lawyer Magazine on New Federal Privacy Legislation
- June 30, 2021 In the News Fredric Bellamy Joins Dickinson Wright’s Phoenix Office
- January 13, 2021 In the News Sara Jodka Earns CIPP/E Certification from the International Association of Privacy Professionals