- Jodka, Sara H.
- Media Mentions
Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
Sara Jodka (Member, Columbus) spoke with International Financial Law Review about how companies in the United States have reacted to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), which goes into effect on January 1, 2020. The law, which is frequently compared to the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), was written for a smaller market than the GDPR and includes weaker requirements for corporations. In effect, the law allows companies to enact band-aid solutions until a breach occurs, at which point they are given 30 days to fix it without penalty. The CCPA’s implementation prompted speculation that the US would move towards a federal data protection framework, which Sara believes should be approached with caution.
“I would not want to see a federal privacy law unless it pre-empts state law because, if there is a federal law that doesn’t, companies will still have to comply with all the state laws and also comply with the federal law,” Sara told the publication. “For states that doesn’t have their own laws, I think a federal law would be appropriate to protect personal information.”
- July 20, 2021 Media Mentions Fredric Bellamy Featured In Tech Republic on Accelerating Ransomware Attacks
- July 20, 2021 Media Mentions Wendy Hulton Featured in Canadian Lawyer Magazine on New Federal Privacy Legislation
- June 30, 2021 In the News Fredric Bellamy Joins Dickinson Wright’s Phoenix Office
- January 13, 2021 In the News Sara Jodka Earns CIPP/E Certification from the International Association of Privacy Professionals
- November 23, 2020 Industry Alerts Canadian Data Privacy Laws Are Changing. Is Your Business Ready to Keep Up?
- November 13, 2020 Industry Alerts While the Nation Focused on the Presidential Race, California Expanded Its Privacy Laws and “Yes” Non-California Businesses Are Likely Impacted
- April 2020 Industry Alerts COVID-19 Poses Increased Cybersecurity Risks to Employers and Businesses
- March 11, 2020 Media Mentions Sara Jodka Quoted by The Journal of Cyber Policy on Cyberinsecurity
- February 2020 Media Mentions Sara Jodka Discusses Facebook’s Argument Against the California Consumer Privacy Act with Consumer Affairs