On May 12, 2020, the federal government announced additional measures to help Canadian seniors and provide them with greater financial security during the COVID-19 emergency.
These new measures include:
- Providing $2.5 billion in additional financial support for a one-time tax-free payment of $300 for seniors eligible for the Old Age Security (OAS) pension, with an additional $200 for seniors eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS). This measure would give a total of $500 to individuals who are eligible to receive both the OAS and the GIS, to help cover increased costs caused by COVID-19.
- Expanding the New Horizons for Seniors Program with an additional investment of $20 million to support organizations that offer community-based projects that reduce isolation, improve the quality of life for seniors, and help them maintain a social support network.
- Temporarily extending GIS and Allowance payments if seniors’ 2019 income information has not been assessed. This will ensure that the most vulnerable seniors continue to receive their benefits when they need them the most. To avoid an interruption in benefits, seniors are encouraged to submit their 2019 income information as soon as possible and no later than October 1, 2020.
The additional funding is on top of other supports for seniors, including an increase in the GST credits for low-income seniors, and $350 million for charities that serve our most vulnerable, such as the United Way.
Learn more about resources available for senior citizens in Canada by reading our COVID-19 Guide for Seniors.
Please Note: These materials do not constitute legal or medical advice. Government initiatives, announcements, and regulations in response to the COVID-19 situation continue to evolve and change frequently.
- May 27, 2020 Industry Alerts Electronic Corporate Filings and Virtual Shareholder Meetings for Ontario Corporations
- May 27, 2020 Industry Alerts Cross-Border Travel Between the U.S. and Mexico/Canada – Non-Essential Travel Restrictions Extended to June 22, 2020
- May 22, 2020 Industry Alerts CECRA Update | May 22, 2020
- May 15, 2020 Industry Alerts CIPO Pandemic Response: Update May 15, 2020*
- May 12, 2020 Industry Alerts Re-Open for Nevada: Nevada OSHA Issues Guidelines for Nonessential Nevada Businesses Resuming Operations
- May 06, 2020 Industry Alerts COVID-19 Return-to-Work Checklist from a Canadian Employment Law Perspective
- May 04, 2020 Industry Alerts Open for Business in a Pandemic: Guidelines for How to Safely Reopen and Maintain a Business
- May 04, 2020 Industry Alerts Stay Home for Nevada: Nevada Emergency Directive 016 Loosens and Modifies Restrictions for Nonessential Businesses and Various Activities
- May 01, 2020 Industry Alerts Ontario Government Issues Order to Temporarily Ease Shareholder and Director Meeting Requirements Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic