- Swets, Roger A.
- Industry Alerts
Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
Michigan drainage districts can issue term bonds for their projects under a new law signed by Gov. Rick Snyder on March 1.
Term bonds allow bond issuers to group a number of bond maturities into one bond certificate. While they have become commonly used in recent years to increase interest in municipal bond issues, the language of the Drain Code was not flexible enough to permit them, resulting in higher interest rates in certain circumstances. We worked with the Michigan Association of County Drain Commissioners to propose the bill that became Public Act 27 of 2016, which makes term bonds available in drain bond financings. Term bonds will not be used in every drain bond issue, but they will provide an additional tool for finance professionals to use in the right circumstances to reduce the interest cost of drain bonds for the benefit of benefited properties and public corporations that are assessed for the cost of these projects.
This client alert is published by Dickinson Wright PLLC to inform our clients and friends of important developments in the field of drain law. The content is informational only and does not constitute legal or professional advice.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Roger A. Swets is a Member in Dickinson Wright’s Grand Rapids office. He can be reached at 616-336-1043 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terence M.Donnelly is a Member in Dickinson Wright’s Troy office. He can be reached at 248.433.7224 or email@example.com.
Wendy R Underwood is a Member in Dickinson Wright’s Troy office. She can be reached at 248.433.7238 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
J. Bryan Williams is a Member in Dickinson Wright’s Troy office. He can be reached at 248.433.7289 or email@example.com.
Paul M. Wyzgoski is Member in Dickinson Wright’s Troy office. He can be reached at 248.433.7255 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view a printable version of this drainage client alert, click here.
- Industry Alerts Amendments to Library TIF Legislation
- Seminars MDTC Winter Meeting 2017- Law Practice: The Next Generation on November 10, 2017
- Conferences Non Profit Conference on October 3, 2017
- July 24, 2023 Industry Alerts New Michigan Law Significantly Expands Economic Incentives Available for Housing Development and Increases Availability of Transformational Brownfield Projects
- July 7, 2023 In the News Kester So Appointed Chair of American College of Bond Counsel’s Member Selection Committee
- March 6, 2023 In the News Kester So Named to Michigan Lawyers Weekly 2023 Hall of Fame
- March 4, 2021 In the News Dickinson Wright Ranked in The Bond Buyer’s Midwest Year-End Review
- February 01, 2021 Media Mentions Ron Bultje Presenting Complimentary Virtual Sessions on Planning & Zoning Fundamentals
- March 2019 Industry Alerts Michigan Governor Issues Stay-At-Home Order