Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
Scot Crow (Member, Columbus) and Benton Bodamer (Member, Columbus) recently spoke with Law360 regarding the Boston U.S. Attorney’s office’s investigation of potential public corruption in the cannabis sector. More than half a dozen Massachusetts communities received subpoenas seeking information about “host community agreements,” contracts a cannabis shop must enter into with a city or town before presenting its business plan to the state’s Cannabis Control Commission, which some believe amounts to a pay-to-play system. However, Benton and Scot have concerns regarding federal intervention in a state’s cannabis market.
"They can put it under the guise of ferreting out corruption and it might very well be that, but it also is a potential detriment and barrier to compliance in the state marketplace," said Benton. "Any chilling effect the federal government creates in a state marketplace is a subsidy [to] the elicit marketplace."
"There is nothing to stop them from going state-to-state, and now you're talking about a chilling effect nationwide,” Scot told Law360.
To read more, click here.
- September 14, 2023 In the News Scot Crow Named to the 2023 Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers List
- July 10, 2023 Industry Alerts Five Upcoming Changes to Ohio’s Medical Marijuana Laws & Recreational Update
- June 12, 2023 In the News Dickinson Wright Recognized in Legal 500 United States 2023 Edition
- June 1, 2023 In the News Dickinson Wright Receives Top Rankings in 2023 Chambers USA Guide; 43 Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in their Fields
- September 30, 2022 In the News Benjamin Sobczak Elected to State Bar of Michigan’s Cannabis Law Section Council
- September 6, 2022 In the News Benjamin Sobczak Joins Dickinson Wright Troy Office as a Member
- June 14, 2022 In the News Seven Dickinson Wright Attorneys Recognized in Nevada Business's Top Ranked Attorneys 2022
- June 13, 2022 In the News Dickinson Wright Recognized in Legal 500 United States 2022 Edition
- June 1, 2022 In the News Dickinson Wright Receives Top Rankings in 2022 Chambers USA Guide; 41 Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in their Fields