Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
Scot Crow (Member, Columbus) and Benton Bodamer (Member, Columbus) recently spoke with Law360 regarding the Boston U.S. Attorney’s office’s investigation of potential public corruption in the cannabis sector. More than half a dozen Massachusetts communities received subpoenas seeking information about “host community agreements,” contracts a cannabis shop must enter into with a city or town before presenting its business plan to the state’s Cannabis Control Commission, which some believe amounts to a pay-to-play system. However, Benton and Scot have concerns regarding federal intervention in a state’s cannabis market.
"They can put it under the guise of ferreting out corruption and it might very well be that, but it also is a potential detriment and barrier to compliance in the state marketplace," said Benton. "Any chilling effect the federal government creates in a state marketplace is a subsidy [to] the elicit marketplace."
"There is nothing to stop them from going state-to-state, and now you're talking about a chilling effect nationwide,” Scot told Law360.
To read more, click here.
- September 20, 2021 Industry Alerts Michigan's Marihuana Regulatory Agency Currently Reviewing New Rules
- August 18, 2021 Industry Alerts High Risks Remain If Operating Cannabis Business Outside Strict State Law
- July 16, 2021 In the News Twelve Dickinson Wright Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Mountain State Super Lawyers
- June 14, 2021 In the News Dickinson Wright Recognized in Legal 500 United States 2021 Edition
- May 20, 2021 In the News Dickinson Wright Receives Top Rankings in 2021 Chambers USA Guide; 43 Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in their Fields
- February 23, 2021 Media Mentions Scot Crow Interviewed on Elevate Your Grind Podcast
- December 3, 2020 In the News Dickinson Wright Represents AltMed in Deal with Verano to Combine Operations
- September 2, 2020 In the News Timothy McCulloch Named to National Law Journal’s 2020 Cannabis Law Trailblazers List
- July 30, 2020 Media Mentions Lloyd Pierre-Louis, Daniel Briggs, and Benton Bodamer Publish Article in Cannabis Business Times