Scot Crow (Member, Columbus) and Benton Bodamer (Member, Columbus) recently spoke with Law360 regarding the Boston U.S. Attorney’s office’s investigation of potential public corruption in the cannabis sector. More than half a dozen Massachusetts communities received subpoenas seeking information about “host community agreements,” contracts a cannabis shop must enter into with a city or town before presenting its business plan to the state’s Cannabis Control Commission, which some believe amounts to a pay-to-play system. However, Benton and Scot have concerns regarding federal intervention in a state’s cannabis market.
"They can put it under the guise of ferreting out corruption and it might very well be that, but it also is a potential detriment and barrier to compliance in the state marketplace," said Benton. "Any chilling effect the federal government creates in a state marketplace is a subsidy [to] the elicit marketplace."
"There is nothing to stop them from going state-to-state, and now you're talking about a chilling effect nationwide,” Scot told Law360.
To read more, click here.
- September 2, 2020 In the News Timothy McCulloch Named to National Law Journal’s 2020 Cannabis Law Trailblazers List
- July 30, 2020 Media Mentions Lloyd Pierre-Louis, Daniel Briggs, and Benton Bodamer Publish Article in Cannabis Business Times
- April 2020 Industry Alerts Province Releases Updated List of “Essential” Workplaces, Directing Additional Closures and Restrictions During COVID-19 State of Emergency
- March 2020 Media Mentions Scot Crow Speaks with Benzinga on Effectiveness of Cannabis Company Restructuring Efforts
- February 2020 Media Mentions Scot Crow Quoted in Smart Business Dealmakers on Ohio Medical Marijuana Investments
- February 2020 Media Mentions Benton Bodamer Quoted by Bloomberg Law on State-Backed Cannabis Union “Peace” Deals
- January 10, 2020 Media Mentions Benton Bodamer and Scot Crow Quoted by InvestorPlace on Aurora Cannabis Stock Fall
- January 02, 2020 Media Mentions Benton Bodamer Discusses Logistics of Cannabis Breathalyzers with CNN Business
- December 9-10, 2019 Conferences MJBizDaily Investor Intelligence Conference