- Cipriano, Chantal A. .
- Industry Alerts
The Government of Canada has now updated its Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) page and its Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) page to inform the public of benefit extensions in response to COVID-19.
Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy
CEWS provides a 75% wage subsidy to employers, up to $847 per week per employee for 12 weeks, retroactive to March 15, 2020.
We reported in a previous alert that under CEWS there are three qualifying periods (i) March 15, 2020 to April 11, 2020; (ii) April 12, 2020 to May 9, 2020; and (iii) May 10, 2020 to June 6, 2020. These periods are the eligibility start and end dates where employers can claim CEWS.
CEWS has now been extended by an additional 12 weeks to August 29, 2020. The same rules from the previous three periods will apply to the current, fourth period (June 7, 2020 to July 4, 2020). Thereafter, the extension will commence as period five (July 5, 2020 to August 1, 2020) and/or period six (August 2, 2020 to August 29, 2020). The Government of Canada will soon be announcing the details of potential changes to the program’s framework for the fifth and/or sixth periods.
Canada Emergency Response Benefit
CERB gives financial support to qualifying Canadians who are directly affected by COVID-19. If an individual is eligible for CERB, they may receive $2,000 over a 4-week period.
CERB has now been extended from 16 weeks to 24 weeks to October 3, 2020. This extension applies to workers who: (1) stopped working due to COVID-19; (2) are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits; or (3) have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits or Employment Insurance benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020.
For official Government of Canada updates and information about Canada’s response to COVID-19, visit http://canada.ca/coronavirus/.
This is an update to a previous alert on this topic dated April 11, 2020, found here: Covid-19 Wage Subsidy Bill Received Royal Assent on April 11, 2020
Please Note: These materials do not constitute legal advice. Government initiatives, announcements, and regulations in response to the COVID-19 situation continue to evolve and change frequently. As such, it is important to ensure you are aware of current information and that you consult with a lawyer before making your business decisions. For further information, please contact one of the key contacts listed herein.
- Industry Alerts COVID-19 Wage Subsidy Bill Received Royal Assent On April 11, 2020
- Industry Alerts New Additions for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) Assists Tech and Start-Up Companies
- Industry Alerts COVID-19 Guide for Seniors
- July 09, 2020 Industry Alerts Ontario Court of Appeal Sends Employers Back to the Drafting Table … AGAIN!
- July 07, 2020 Industry Alerts Updated Information Regarding the $200 Million in Funding Available for Small Businesses Through New Tennessee Business Relief Program
- June 30, 2020 Industry Alerts Protecting Small Business Act 2020
- June 15, 2020 Industry Alerts CIPO Pandemic Response: Update June 15, 2020*
- June 12, 2020 Industry Alerts $200 Million in Funding Available for Small Businesses Through New Tennessee Business Relief Program
- June 01, 2020 Industry Alerts CIPO Pandemic Response: Update June 1, 2020*