- Industry Alerts
On March 21, 2017, Arizona Governor Doug Ducey signed into law House Bill 2322 which is Arizona’s response to the legal controversy plaguing many franchisors relative to imputed joint employment. The law holds that no franchisor shall be deemed to be an employer "…unless the franchisor agrees in writing to assume the role of employer or co-employer of the franchisee or the employee of the franchisee."
This legislative response should be of great assistance to many franchises operating in the state, but of particular relevance to quick serve restaurant and janitorial concepts. Over recent years, several federal and state courts and regulatory agencies such as the National Labor Relations Board ,targeted franchisors who exercised even moderate control, directly or indirectly, over their franchisee’s employment practices. The franchise community has a legitimate interest in giving guidance to its franchisees in order to maintain brand uniformity and quality. However, several franchisors retreated over the past few years from giving their franchisees any guidance or advice relative to employment practices. House Bill 2322 will take effect on Aug 9, 2017.
This client alert is published by Dickinson Wright PLLC to inform our clients and friends of important developments in the field of franchise and distribution law. The content is informational only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We encourage you to consult a Dickinson Wright attorney if you have specific questions or concerns relating to any of the topics covered in here.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
James A. Ullman is Of Counsel in Dickinson Wright’s Phoenix office. He can be reached at 602.285.5090 or email@example.com.
If you would like a printable version of this franchising & distribution alert, click here.
- October 5, 2018 Media Mentions Lawyer Ned Levitt Recently Contributed to the “Getting the Deal Through – Franchise 2019” Publication
- May 16, 2018 Media Mentions Lawyer Ned Levitt Quoted in the Franchising.com Article “It's a Digital World: Technology is Changing International Franchising”
- June 2017 Industry Alerts Proposed Changes to Ontario Employment and Labour Laws
- March 2017 Industry Alerts Franchise and Distribution News
- February 2017 Industry Alerts BC Franchise Laws Come Into Effect
- October 2016 Industry Alerts BC Finalizes Franchise Laws
- June 2016 Industry Alerts Electronic and Courier Delivery Coming to Ontario
- May 31, 2016 Seminars Franchise Breakfast Roundtable
- April 2016 Industry Alerts Franchise & Distribution News, Number 2