- Industry Alerts
Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
On March 21, 2017, Arizona Governor Doug Ducey signed into law House Bill 2322 which is Arizona’s response to the legal controversy plaguing many franchisors relative to imputed joint employment. The law holds that no franchisor shall be deemed to be an employer "…unless the franchisor agrees in writing to assume the role of employer or co-employer of the franchisee or the employee of the franchisee."
This legislative response should be of great assistance to many franchises operating in the state, but of particular relevance to quick serve restaurant and janitorial concepts. Over recent years, several federal and state courts and regulatory agencies such as the National Labor Relations Board ,targeted franchisors who exercised even moderate control, directly or indirectly, over their franchisee’s employment practices. The franchise community has a legitimate interest in giving guidance to its franchisees in order to maintain brand uniformity and quality. However, several franchisors retreated over the past few years from giving their franchisees any guidance or advice relative to employment practices. House Bill 2322 will take effect on Aug 9, 2017.
This client alert is published by Dickinson Wright PLLC to inform our clients and friends of important developments in the field of franchise and distribution law. The content is informational only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We encourage you to consult a Dickinson Wright attorney if you have specific questions or concerns relating to any of the topics covered in here.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
James A. Ullman is Of Counsel in Dickinson Wright’s Phoenix office. He can be reached at 602.285.5090 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like a printable version of this franchising & distribution alert, click here.
- Industry Alerts Education Newsletter Volume 1 Number 1
- Industry Alerts Ohio’s Minimum Wage Set to Rise January 1, 2017 and Mandatory Poster
- Industry Alerts Governor Whitmer Signs COVID-19 Legislation Applicable to All Employers
- April 27, 2021 In the News Two Dickinson Wright Lawyers Listed in the 2021 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory
- March 08, 2021 Industry Alerts Sub-Par Claim: Franchisee’s Beef with Supplier Leaves Bad Taste
- February 03, 2021 Media Mentions Ned Levitt Quoted in Global Franchise Magazine on Cross-Border Franchising
- January 27, 2021 Media Mentions Ned Levitt Presents at Canada Franchise Association's "Virtual Franchise Canada Show Toronto"
- September 15, 2020 In the News Two Dickinson Wright Lawyers Recognized in the 2021 Edition of Chambers Canada
- May 21, 2020 In the News Ned Levitt Featured in LexisNexis Canada Spotlight Interview