- Arndt, Andrea L. .
- Industry Alerts
Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
What is a freedom to operate opinion, and why is it important?
A freedom to operate opinion (FTO) is a legal opinion from a qualified intellectual property attorney that concludes a proposed commercial product or process may be made, used, sold, or offered for sale without infringing another party’s intellectual property rights. Although there is no legal requirement for a company to obtain an FTO opinion before taking a new product, process, or service to market, obtaining one can be very beneficial as a preemptive measure to aid in defending a company in patent litigation against assertions of willful infringement and exposure to treble damages. By minimizing litigation risks, an FTO opinion can also minimize potential investors’ concerns about the marketability of the company’s product, process, or service.
How to obtain a freedom to operate opinion?
An intellectual property attorney can conduct the FTO search and analyze the results. The FTO analysis typically includes search results for issued patents and published patent applications that cover technologies similar to the company’s technology and an assessment of any patent infringement litigation risk those patent matters may present. Often the analysis can clear many of these patents as posing little or no risk of litigation. In some instances, the search may uncover patents that appear to cover the company’s product where certain product elements can limit the company’s freedom to operate.
At Dickinson Wright, we often also conduct searches for design patents, trademarks, copyrights, and competitor products to evaluate trade dress rights. If we find anything of concern, we may conduct a litigation search to determine how litigious a third-party patent holder has been concerning and protecting its intellectual property rights. After the searches, and provided your attorney concludes that you are clear to proceed with launching your product, process, or service, your attorney will prepare the FTO. Essentially, the FTO opinion can give a company the green light to bring a product, a process, or a service to market and shield it against a later judicial finding of willful infringement and exposure to enhanced damages arising from acts of willful infringement.
What if we find a potential patent limiting the company’s freedom to operate?
If the freedom to operate analysis uncovers one or more high-risk patents, the company’s research and development team can be informed of the issues involved and can be advised of what needs to be avoided and/or modified of its own product, process, or service to avoid infringing the patent(s). In other words, when faced with a potential issue, your attorney can work directly with your team to help identify and navigate potential paths around a third party’s patent(s).
When to pursue a freedom to operate opinion?
There are several stages in which a company may wish to pursue an FTO:
- Before launching products in markets that are particularly crowded, competitive, or litigious;
- Before raising a financing round in which investors will be putting significant sums of money at risk; and
- If the company would suffer severe financial harm if patent litigation resulted in an injunction of its product, process, or service.
For more information, please reach out to one of our intellectual property attorneys today.
Original version here.
- Industry Alerts Freedom to Operate Opinions: What Are They, and Why Are They Important?
- March 30, 2022 Industry Alerts DW-China Trade Update (40th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第四十期)
- July 21, 2021 Industry Alerts DW-China Trade Update (38th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十八期)
- April 19, 2021 Industry Alerts DW-China Trade Update (37th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十七期)
- February 02, 2021 Industry Alerts DW-China Trade Update (36th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十六期)
- September 23, 2020 Industry Alerts DW China Trade Update (35th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十五期)
- September 16, 2020 Industry Alerts WTO Ruling Finds U.S. in Violation of International Regulations by Imposing Section 301 Tariffs on Chinese Imports | 世贸组织裁决美国对华征收301条款关税违反国际法规
- August 12, 2020 Industry Alerts DW-China Update (33rd Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十三期)
- May 19, 2020 Industry Alerts DW-China Trade Update (32nd Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十二期)