Stuart is a litigation attorney with over 30 years of experience. He has tried hundreds of cases in both state and federal court. Some of his noteworthy victories have been featured in local, state and national publications. Stuart is also listed as a Supreme Court Rule 31 Family Law Mediator.
Following law school, Stuart was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Samuel L. Lewis, Court of Appeals for the State of Tennessee. This experience allowed Stuart to work on and author significant portions of multiple dozens of Court of Appeals opinions in areas involving litigation, including a large number of family law cases. His judicial clerkship has proven to be invaluable in his current practice.
Stuart's primary area of practice is family law. He represents people going through divorce and in premarital and post-divorce issues. Stuart focuses his efforts on providing his legal services and advice to his clients in these areas.
Stuart has successfully represented wives and husbands in negotiating through the difficult process that divorce can entail. He is a single dad who understands how painful the process can be. Rather than focusing on an adversarial relationship, Stuart works with his clients to move them forward in life towards their next chapter.
This said, if you need him to be tough, Stuart is your man. He will not back down, and he will protect your interests.
Stuart is a single dad with two daughters. He is actively involved in the community and helps indigent clients with their divorces. Although Nashville has always been his home base, Stuart has lived extensively in Europe growing up and he speaks German. Stuart also has been a professional fighter and has 15 professional fights. Stuart is a professional fight judge and referee. He has refereed title fights. If he can keep someone safe from a world-class fighter, imagine what he can do for you!
Vanderbilt UniversityB.A., 1984
University of TennesseeJ.D., 1988
- Dean's Advisory Council
- Moot Court Board
- Allied Insurance Company
- Amerisure Insurance Company
- Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company
- Comtrak Logistics
- D. Canale & Co
- Federated Rural Electric Insurance Exchange
- Great West Casualty Company
- Middle Tennessee EMC
- Protective Insurance Company
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Fellow: Nashville Bar Association
- Harry Phillips American Inns of Court, Member
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers, Member
- OESA and TAMA, Member
- GACC Steering Committee, Member
- Prior Chair of NBA Community Relations Committee
- Began NBA recycling program for the bar association for the City of Nashville
- Prior Uptown and Downtown YMCA Board Member
- Prior Tennessee German Chamber Steering Committee and Head of Fundraising
- Parent Board Member and Head of Father’s Network, Harpeth Hall School
- Judicial Clerk to the Honorable Samuel Lewis on the Tennessee Court of Appeals
- Lived extensively in Europe and speaks German
- "Parental Alienation: Parental Problem," Dickinson Wright Family Focus Blog, October 12, 2018
- "Military Retirement: What Spouses Need to Know," Dickinson Wright Family Focus Blog, June 22, 2018
- "What Happens to Summer Break with My Children When I Am Divorced?" Dickinson Wright Family Focus Blog, May 18, 2018
- "My Spouse Has Refused to Give Me a Divorce, What Can I Do, Part II," Dickinson Wright Family Focus Blog, February 23, 2018
- "How Do I Deal With a Difficult Spouse During Divorce?" Dickinson Wright Family Focus Blog, December 29, 2017
- "What Happens to My Retirement Plan If I Go Through a Divorce?" Dickinson Wright Family Focus Blog, December 8, 2017
- "Electronic Media: What Can I Look at When I'm Going Through My Divorce?" Dickinson Wright Family Focus Blog, November 22, 2017
- "Must I Still Pay More After I'm Divorced?" Dickinson Wright Family Focus Blog, November 17, 2017