Michigan State UniversityB.A., 1974
- With Highest Honor
Northwestern University School of LawJ.D., 1977
- DBusiness Magazine
- Top Lawyer, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2015-2021
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended Lawyer, 2017, 2019
- Private Equity Practice
- Managing Director
- Chambers USA; America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Top Ranked Corporate/M&A Lawyer in Michigan
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2006-2020
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- Mergers & Acquisitions, 2007-2020
- Crain's Detroit Business
- Dealmaker of the Year, Advisor, 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Peer Review Rating® Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
- Active Interests Media, Inc.
- Long Point Capital, Inc.
- InterMedia Outdoors, Inc.
- Huron Capital Partners
- Nantucket Multi-Managers, L.L.C.
- St. Clair Capital Partners
- Wind Point Partners
- Peninsula Capital Partners
- Superior Capital Partners
Counsel to private equity fund to organize and capitalize portfolio acquisition entity, followed by acquisition of public component manufacturer in a "going private" transaction effectuated via a merger.
Counsel to private equity fund to organize and capitalize portfolio acquisition entity, followed by simultaneous acquisition and financing of five (5) operating entities.
Counsel to private equity fund to organize and capitalize acquisition entity, followed by acquisition and financing of numerous media and special event businesses (including publications such as Southwestern Art, Yoga Journal, Backpacker and Log Home Living, and the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show).
Outside general counsel to Active Interest Media, Inc., InterMedia Outdoors, Inc. and several other portfolio companies of private equity firms.
Counsel to numerous private equity fund sponsors for fund organization, capitalization and administration.
Counsel to private equity funds in numerous merger, acquisition, LBO, MBO, "going private", recapitalization and divestiture transactions.
Counsel to funds in numerous mezzanine finance transactions.
Counsel to Boards of Directors and committees regarding corporate finance transactions and governance issues.
Counsel to issuers and underwriters in numerous registered public offerings.
Counsel to Florists' Transworld Delivery Association in the spin-off and divestiture of its business operations and return to its core function, a trade association.
- ACG Detroit, Board of Directors
- ACG Detroit, Program Committee
- Michigan Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association
- Private Directors Association, Member
- Little Traverse Bay Humane Society, Board of Directors
- The Detroit Institute for Children, Past Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Co-author of "Chapter 15, Private Equity Fund and Portfolio Company Investment", Private Equity, History, Governance and Operations, 2008, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Moderator and/or panel participant on presentations regarding private equity, mergers & acquisitions and other related topics for ACG Detroit and numerous other organizations.
- Frequent lecturer for educational and commercial seminars and presentations on private equity, corporate and M&A topics.