Marlene A. Pontrelli is a certified specialist in family law. Her practice focuses on all aspects of family law including dissolution and legal separation of marriage, business valuations, division of property, spousal support, post-dissolution modifications, premarital and post-marital agreements, paternity, child custody, parenting time, and child support matters. She is admitted to practice in Arizona and California. She also acts as a private mediator for parties wishing to settle outside the traditional court process.
Ms. Pontrelli is an adjunct professor at the Sandra Day O’Connor School of Law at Arizona State University where she teaches the family law class. She has extensive trial and appellate experience including appearing before the Arizona Court of Appeals, Arizona Supreme Court and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ms. Pontrelli has been named as a Southwest Super Lawyer multiple times and was named by Arizona Business Magazine as Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona for 2020.
University of Southern CaliforniaB.A., Political Science and Speech Communication
University of California, DavisJ.D.
- Law Review member
- Senior Articles Editor
- Named Top 100 Lawyer in Arizona, Az Business Magazine, 2020
- Listed as a Top Attorney in Family Law, North Valley Magazine, 2019
- Named 10 Best Family Law Attorney (Arizona), American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2018-2019
- Judicial AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell, 2018-2019
- Named to Arizona Attorney at Law Women of the Year list, 2018
- Listed in Southwest Super Lawyers
- AV-Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell
As a certified specialist in family law, Ms. Pontrelli handles complex family law matters involving not only difficult division and valuation of community businesses, but high conflict parenting and custody issues. While the goal is to always try and settle a matter without the necessity of trial, when trial is required clients benefit from her over 30 years of trial experience. Ms. Pontrelli obtained her life coaching certificate through the Professional Coaching Institute in 2005.
Ms. Pontrelli has written several books, including Divorce in Arizona, Daily Meditations for Healing from Divorce, and the recently published Focus on Family Law. She is a frequent lecturer in the area of family law and has conducted workshops throughout the country on parenting skills, time management, and balancing work and personal life.
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Arizona State Bar
- California State Bar
- Judge Pro Tempore, Maricopa County Superior Court, Family Law division
- Adjunct Professor in Family Law at Sandra Day O'Connor School of Law at Arizona State University
Publications - Partial List
- Divorce in Arizona, 2nd Edition, Addicus Books (Nebraska 2019) (Co-author with Robert L. Schwartz)
- Divorce in Arizona, Addicus Books (Nebraska 2015) (Co-author with Robert L. Schwartz)
- Daily Meditations for Healing from Divorce, Addicus Publishing (2016)
- Focus on Family Law, Aspen Publishers (New York 2016)
- Author, "Tips for Fighting the Lawyer-Mom Blues," Arizona Attorney at Law Magazine (October 2018)
- Fundamentals of Litigation for Paralegals, Aspen Publishers, 9th Edition (New York 2017)
- Fundamentals of Litigation for California Paralegals, Aspen Publishers, 6th Edition (New York 2017)
- Fundamentals of Litigation for Paralegals, Aspen Publishers, 8th Edition (New York 2014) (Co-author with Thomas A. Mauet, University of Arizona)
- Fundamentals of Litigation for California Paralegals, Aspen Publishers, 5th Edition (New York 2013) (Co-author with Thomas A. Mauet, University of Arizona)
- Community Columnist for the Arizona Republic (1997-2008)
Speaking Engagements - Partial List
- Professional Goodwill in Family Law, State Bar of Arizona (2013)
- Advanced Family Law, National Business Institute (2012)
- Business Valuations, Arizona Society of Certified Public Accountants (2012)
- Family Law Update, State Bar of Arizona (Scottsdale, AZ, April 3, 2009)
- Family Law Litigation, National Business Institute (Phoenix, AZ, August, 2008)
- Time Management Skills for Effective Leadership, National League of Cities and Towns (New Orleans, LA., November 14, 2007; Orlando, FL, November 12, 2008)
- Developing Highly Effective Teams in the Workplace, International Municipal Lawyers Association (Washington, D.C., April 2007)
- Life Coaching Skills for Effective Leadership: Balancing Your Personal and Professional Life, National League of Cities & Towns (Reno, NV., December 5, 2006)
- E-Mails, Ethernet, and Privacy in the Workplace, International Municipal Lawyers Association (Portland, OR., September 2006)
- Real World Ethics, Arizona State Bar (Phoenix, August 10, 2006)
- Conducting Internal Investigations, Tempe Learning Center (2000-2005)