Craig Hammond focuses his practice in the areas of public finance, banking and economic development law, with more than 25 years of experience representing lenders, state and local units of government, underwriters and borrowers in connection with economic development projects and tax exempt bond financings. Craig is recognized as one of the leading public finance attorneys in the State of Michigan in financings for senior housing, health care, higher education, charter schools, economic development projects and public-private partnership transactions. Craig has been listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2006-present for Banking and Finance Law and Public Finance Law; Best Lawyers in America "2015-2018 Lawyer of the Year - Public Finance Law”; Michigan Super Lawyers, Bonds/Government Finance, Banking, 2006-present; and DBusiness Top Lawyers, Public Finance Law.
Williams CollegeB.A., 1985
- cum laude
University of MichiganJ.D., 1988
- cum laude
- Listed in Chambers USA
- Best Lawyers in America, 2006-present
- Banking and Finance Law
- Public Finance Law
- Best Lawyers in America "2018 Troy Lawyer of the Year - Public Finance Law"
- Best Lawyers in America "2015, 2017 Detroit Lawyer of the Year - Banking and Finance Law"
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Bonds/Government Finance, Banking 2006-present
- DBusiness Top Lawyers, Public Finance Law
- Bank of America, N.A.
- Economic Development Corp. of Wayne County
- Eastern Michigan University
- The Huntington National Bank
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Marygrove College
- Lawrence Technological University
- Michigan Finance Authority
- Michigan Strategic Fund
- Evangelical Homes of Michigan
- Presbyterian Villages of Michigan
Counsel to Eastern Michigan University in connection with $55 million asset monetization of University parking system through public private partnership.
Bond counsel to Michigan Strategic Fund in connection with issuance of $450 million of bonds to finance construction of Little Caesars Arena to serve as the home arena for the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Pistons.
Counsel to Palace Sports & Entertainment, LLC in connection with development agreement and related economic development incentives for relocation of Detroit Pistons to Little Caesar's Arena in Detroit.
Counsel to Corvias Campus Living in connection with public private partnership for student housing at Wayne State University.
Counsel to The Sports Authority of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County in connection with MLS soccer stadium P3 development and lease transaction.
Bond counsel and underwriter's counsel on hundreds of tax exempt private activity bond issues for financing of manufacturing, health care, educational, cultural, senior housing, and solid waste disposal facilities.
Counsel to lenders in connection with a wide range of municipal lending, including the purchase and credit enhancement of tax exempt obligations and other credit facilities.
Underwriter's counsel to Robert W. Baird & Co. in connection with the issuance of Financial Recovery Bonds by the City of Ecorse, Michigan. The financing represented an innovative approach to solving the financing problems of an economically distressed community and was awarded the 2011 Deal of the Year by The Bond Buyer in its small issue category.
Counsel to Raymond James in connection with the underwriting of tax exempt private activity bonds issued by the Oakland County, Michigan EDC for the benefit of Michigan Motion Pictures Studio through a leveraged new market tax credit structure.
Bond counsel to the Michigan Finance Authority for its Local Government Loan Program.
Bond counsel to variety of issuers in connection with issuance of tax exempt bonds to finance or refinance senior housing and health care communities, including projects for Canterbury on the Lake, Lourdes Senior Community, Presbyterian Villages of Michigan, Henry Ford Village, Evangelical Homes of Michigan, Vista Grande Villa, Rivers of Grosse Pointe, Wellspring Lutheran Services and Samaritas.
Bank counsel for bonds issued for University of Toledo, Central Michigan University, Wayne County Airport Authority, Cranbrook Educational Community, Detroit Catholic Central High School, YMCA Metropolitan Detroit, Spectrum Health and Munson Healthcare.
Counsel to Lawrence Technological University for the bond financing of campus improvements and student housing.
Counsel to JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. for the syndicated construction loan and tax credit financing (historic, new market and brownfield tax credits) of the Argonaut Building in Detroit, Michigan for the College for Creative Studies.
- State Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Board Member, St. Anne's Mead, Southfield, Michigan
- Vestry Member, Christ Church Cranbrook, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
- "Managing OPEB Liabilities Under GASB 45", State Bar of Michigan, Public Corporation Law Quarterly, Fall 2006
- Client Alert: IRS Releases Guidance and Allocations for New Recovery Zone Bonds, June 16, 2009
- Client Alert: American Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act Expands Tax-Exempt Bond Provisions, February 2009
- "New Economic Stimulus Bonds for U.S. Indian Tribes," International Masters of Gaming Law, 2009 Spring Conference
- "Stimulus Plan: Build America Bonds, Recovery Zones and Other Economic Development Financing Tools for Counties," Michigan Association of County Administrative Officers, 2009 Spring Conference
- "Basics of Bond Finance," CDFA Michigan Financing Roundtable 2010 Economic Development Finance Conference, March 2010
- "Private Activity Bonds," CDFA Michigan Financing Roundtable 2012 Economic Development Finance Conference, October 2012
- "Financing The Detroit Red Wings Arena," 2015 CDFA Michigan Financing Roundtable Conference, October 2015