Alex Brown is a member of Dickinson Wright in Columbus, Ohio. He practices business transactional law, with an emphasis on advising privately-held and venture-capital backed companies in capital raising, mergers & acquisitions, and transactions involving technology, software, outsourcing, electronic commerce and intellectual property. He serves as outside counsel to a number of companies, from startup software businesses to national healthcare technology companies. Other areas of his practice include intellectual property asset protection, privacy and data security, emerging business and complex transactions. He counsels clients in business entity selection and formation, protection and commercialization of technology assets, conducting business online, utilizing distributed ledger/blockchain technology, and data security issues.
Alex has represented an international publicly-held entity in negotiating and drafting enterprise-wide software, hardware, outsourcing and service agreements with a variety of large and small vendors and a privately-held technology company in licensing its proprietary software as a service (SAAS) solution to its national and international customers. He also has closed several M&A transactions, on both the buyer and seller sides. Alex also represents several venture capital funds in their investments into scalable technology companies.
University of California, BerkeleyB.A., 1996
- Graduated with distinction in general scholarship and honors in major
University of VirginiaJ.D., 1999
- The Legal 500 United States
- Cannabis, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Business Organizations, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Venture Capital Law - 2023
- "Lawyer of the Year," Business Organizations, 2020
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- "Rising Star," Technology Transactions, 2009, 2013-2014
- Columbus Business First
- Top 20 People to Know in Technology, 2014
- Business First
- Forty Under 40, 2011
Served as M&A counsel for an aggressively expanding, privately held company that acquired 5-7 companies each year for several years. Also counseled several privately held and venture-capital backed clients in exit events to private and publicly held buyers.
Capital for healthcare technology startup
Was lead outside counsel for a health care technology startup and assisted in raising over $40 million.
SAAS agreements for an international software company
Served as outside counsel to large software company and assisted with developing its standard SAAS, customization, professional services and data hosting agreements, and in negotiating the same with its customers.
Complex transaction negotiating
Negotiated and drafted contacts for the acquisition or supply of various products and services, such as integrated healthcare hardware and software solutions, SAAS offerings, financial services and patented extraction machines.
Sale of a manufacturing company via management buyout
Lead M&A counsel for a company in the manufacturing industry in its sale to its management team for cash and complex earn-outs.
Counseled a fast-growth startup that raised $4.25 million in a Series A round.
Sale of technology and software company
Served as outside counsel to a successful technology and software company. Helped it prepare for and close its $25 million sale to a publicly held company.
- American Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Ohio TechAngel Funds
- Board Secretary, i.c. stars Columbus
- Startup Weekend Columbus Mentor, 2016
- Judge, VentureNEXT and TechColumbus Innovation Awards, 2005-2014; Head judge, 2010, 2011; Student Innovation Awards, 2012-2014
- Co-Founder and Chair of the Board of Directors, YouSIP, Inc. (Youth Services Information Portal), 2010-2013
- Leadership Columbus, Class of 2010
- Director and Secretary, Columbus Dance Theatre, Inc., 2001-2005
- Member, United Way Young Leadership Group
- Member, International Technology Law Association
- Interviewer, University of California at Berkeley Alumni Scholarship Program
Speaker, "What Are Best Practices for Co-Founders?," Dickinson Wright, Minutes on the Matter, November 2021
- "IP Legal Issues in the Cannabis Industry" presentation delivered at Ohio Cannabis Law Summit, July 7, 2016
- "Cyber Security Legal Update" presentation delivered at Large and Midsize CIO Forum, May 6, 2015
- "2014 State of The Industry," Technology Edition, Published by Clark Schaefer Hackett, 2014
- "Legal Issues of Technology Startups," bi-monthly presentations at TechColumbus TechStart Essentials seminars, 2011-2013
- "Tech Startup Legal Issues," presentation delivered at 1492 Business Accelerator Program, November 30, 2011
- "Legal Problems with Outsourcing," presentation delivered at Outsourcing Institute Columbus Road Show, November 9, 2011
- "When Outsourcing to the Cloud, Make Sure to Bring a Big Umbrella," Columbus Business First, October 7, 2011
- "Legal Concerns with Social Media," Ohio State University Social Media Seminar, April 2, 2011
- "Earn-Out Acquisitions Not Always a Win-Win Scenario in Bad Economy," Columbus Business First, August 13, 2010
- "Social Media Legal Issues," presentation delivered at Wordcamp/Podcamp Columbus, June 19, 2010
- "Social Media Legal Stuff," presentation delivered at Association of Corporate Counsel seminar, April 29, 2010
- "Startup Company Legal Issues," presentation at 1492 Business Accelerator Program, August 22, 2009
- "Legal Issues of Electronic Data," preentation at CIO Solutions Gallery, August 12, 2009
- "Legal Issues of Blogging," presentation delivered at WordCamp Columbus, May 24, 2009
- "Protecting and Challenging Software Through Contracts," presentation delivered at Protecting and Challenging Software Innovation seminar, April 22, 2009
- Co-author, "'This Call May be Recorded': Quality Assurance or Potential Liability?," Columbus C.E.O., November 2008
- "Internet Sales Have Become a More Taxing Issue," Armatus, Summer 2008
- "Turning IP and Technology Into Money," presentation delivered at Cover Your Assets seminar, November 15, 2007
- "Read Between the Lines: Software Licensing Issues for Banks," Ohio Banking Law Newsletter, Fall 2007
- "Protecting Your IP," presentation delivered at Entrepreneurial Boot Camp seminar, March 24, 2006
- "Raising Capital and Avoiding Liability," Midwest In-House Counsel, January 2006
- "Source Code Escrow Can Be Life-jacket For Computers," Columbus Business First, July 30, 2004
- "Value of Intellectual Property and Intellectual Property Due Diligence in Corporate Transactions," presentation delivered at Nationwide CLE Seminar Series, July 13, 2004
- "The Software License Agreement," presentation delivered at Protecting Your Company's Intellectual Property seminar at Tolles Technical Center, April 21, 2004
- "Software Licensing 1.0," The Ohio Community Banker, May/June 2003