Dr. Weiss has more than two decades of corporate R&D experience in material science, inorganic chemistry, and polymer science, which culminated in him being listed as an inventor on more than 30 U.S. patents. He has substantial experience with advanced materials, applications, and equipment used in multiple global industries, including automotive, aerospace, coatings, plastics, textiles, medical devices, and microelectronic fabrication. His experience also includes the integration of intellectual property processes with corporate R&D, marketing, and quality operations, as well as obtaining government funding for R&D initiatives and establishing joint R&D programs. Dr. Weiss focuses his practice towards patent prosecution, portfolio development & management, technology licensing, trade secret analysis, and litigation support.
Thomas Cooley Law SchoolJ.D., 2009
- cum laude
University of FloridaPh.D., Inorganic Chemistry, 1986
- with Prof. Russell S. Drago
Clemson UniversityB.S., Chemistry, 1981
- magna cum laude
- Graco Presidential Achievement Award, Graco Inc., Minneapolis, MN 1997
- Dow Corning Technical Achievement Award, Dow Corning Corp., Midland, MI 1988
- Mark Bernard Hardin Award, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 1981
- American Bar Association, Trade Secret Committee
- U.S. District Court, E. D. Michigan
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- “Trade Secrets – Reasonable Precautions”, Weiss, K. Res Ipsa Loquitur (Washtenaw County Bar Association), vol. 28(5), September/October, pgs. 10-11 (2019).
- “The Evolving IP Landscape for Green Technology”, Weiss, K. Intellectual Property Magazine, July/August, pgs. 37-38 (2017).
- “Competitive Intelligence – Understanding Current Trends in the Patent Landscape for Nanomaterials”, Weiss, K.; Almeda, L. Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Nanotechnology, pgs. 1003-1009 (2017).
- “Intellectual Asset Management – Key Areas to Consider Prior to Product Launch”, Weiss, K., Spink, M. Proceedings of 1st International Conference of the IEEE Technology & Engineering Management Society (TEMSCON), pgs. 160-165 (2017).
- “Patenting Inventions” Richards, M., Weiss, K. Chapter 1 in Intellectual Property Law, 2016 edition, Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Springfield IL.