Jake McMillian is Dickinson Wright’s Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and is located in the firm’s Chicago office. In this role, he works alongside senior firm leadership and the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee to address issues related to diverse attorney recruitment, retention, and promotion; organizational culture and equity; diversity program development; and community engagement. As a licensed attorney admitted to the bar in the state of Missouri, Jake has spent his entire career engaged in diversity, equity, and inclusion work.
Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, Jake served in similar roles at two multinational law firms, and also spent almost three years in higher education at UIC John Marshall Law School.
Education & Credentials
University of Illinois Urbana-ChampaignEd.D., Diversity & Equity in Education, Projected 2023
University of Kansas School of LawJ.D., 2015
- Walter Hiersteiner Award for Outstanding Service
Ottawa UniversityB.A., English, Business Administration, Ethnic Studies (minor), 2012
- summa cum laude
- Presidential Scholar (full-tuition scholarship)
- Outstanding Alumni Award, University of Kansas Student Involvement & Leadership Center, May 2016
- Walter Hiersteiner Award for Outstanding Service, University of Kansas School of Law, May 2015
- Martin Luther King, Jr. "Keep the Dream Alive" Award for Diversity, City of Ottawa, Kansas, January 2011
- Author, “After ‘I Do’: The Next Frontiers of LGBTQ Liberation,” The Federal Lawyer, June 2015
- Co-Author, “Electronic Cigarettes: A Toolkit to Address Policy Needs of Communities and Public Health in Kansas,” The University of Kansas School of Medicine, The University of Kansas School of Law, and The University of Kansas Cancer Center, April 2015
- Author, “Believing in the Magic,” Journal of the Kansas Bar Association, April 2014