Dylan has a broad civil litigation practice, with a focus on business and employment litigation. He has represented clients in disputes in a variety of industries including corporate/commercial litigation, international trade, intellectual property, sports and entertainment, and in the restructuring and insolvency and administrative law contexts. He is licensed to practice in Canada (Ontario) and the United States (New York).
Dylan regularly provides employment law advice to employers on a variety of workplace issues, including discipline and wrongful dismissal matters, human rights management and litigation and health and safety issues. He advises and assists employers with the drafting of employment agreements, workplace policies, severance packages and the resolution of workplace disputes.
Dylan also has significant experience assisting sport organizations and athletes as both commercial and litigation counsel. He has served as General Counsel and the Director of Legal Affairs for a Canadian professional sports league.
Outside of the office, Dylan volunteers as duty counsel at the Toronto Small Claims Court where he provides pro bono services on behalf of unrepresented litigants.
Lakehead UniversityB.A. (Hons), 2013
- Dean’s Scholar Award for Highest Standing in Political Science
- Marrgaret R. Sideen Memorial Award for Political Science (2012 & 2013)
- Geoffrey Engholm Award
- President’s List (2009-2013)
- Full Entrance Scholarship
Osgoode Hall Law SchoolJ.D., 2016
- Charles Edward Woodrow Award
- Osgoode Centennial Entrance Scholarship
- New York
Has represented professional league teams to draft and negotiate commercial agreements, in contractual disputes and with the transfer and sale of players
Routinely acts as counsel to financial institutions in actions against former employees for misuse of confidential information and breach of non-solicitation and non-competition obligations
Counsel to Raytheon Canada ULC in bid a dispute before the CITT regarding procurement of the Integrated Soldier System Project by PND/PWGSC
Counsel to the Western Canadian Alliance of Gypsum Contractors before the CITT in the dumping of gypsum from the United States
Counsel to the plaintiff technical services firm on a successful injunction against a former employee and director for misuse of confidential information and breach of non-solicitation obligations
Counsel to Baosteel in the CBSA investigation regarding the dumping and subsidization of fabricated industrial steel components
Counsel to a mortgagee in its successful claim for priority over a first-ranking mortgage on the basis of fraud and mortgage inflation (leave to appeal refused)
Counsel to a global children’s accessory company in its successful judicial review of decisions concerning Health Canada’s prohibition against the sale of its product
Counsel to Romspen Investment Corporation in its receivership application over the assets of Atlas Healthcare, and the dismissal of a CCAA cross-application by Atlas Healthcare
- Thunder Bay Law Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Law Help Ontario (Pro Bono Ontario)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- Speaker, “Employment Standards Educational Program: Part 5,” Webinar delivered for the Canadian Franchise Association, May 2019.
- Author, “New Year, Same Employment Standards”, HR Professional Magazine, February 2019.
- Author, “What’s old is new with Ontario’s sweeping employment law changes”, The Law Times, December 8, 2018.
- Quoted in “Ontario employment standards to undergo another revamp”, Canadian HR Reporter, November 2, 2018.
- Quoted in “Labour law changes to impact lawyers, clients”, The Law Times, October 15, 2018.
- Co-Author, "Unprecedented is the New Norm in Canada – U.S. Trade Relations,” The Lawyer's Daily, June 2018.
- Quoted in “Canada knocks U.S. lumber levies”, American Shipper, April 11, 2018.
- Author, “Softwood lumber duties seen as Trump’s opening salvo on NAFTA,” The Lawyer’s Daily, May 2017.
- Speaker, “From NAFTA to CETA: How Canadian and U.S. Businesses Can Leverage a New Era in Global Trade,” Dickinson Wright Webinar, May 2017.
- Contributor, Brenda Swick, "International Procurement Developments in 2016: Canada," Paper delivered at the Thomson Reuters West Government Conducts Year In Review Conference, Washington D.C., February 2017.
- Author, "Review of the Significant Canadian Federal Government Contracting Cases in 2016," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, January 2017.
- Author, “Gypsum industry hit with new Canadian duty case”, Construction Canada, August 30, 2016.