Michigan State UniversityB.A., 1986
Wayne State University Law SchoolJ.D., 1989
- cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Best Lawyers in America®
- "Lawyer of the Year," Banking and Finance Law, 2020
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Leading Individual, Banking and Finance
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- Banking, 2007-2010, 2012-2021
- DBusiness Magazine
- "Top Lawyers," Banking and Financial Service Law
- JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- The Huntington National Bank
- Fifth Third Bank
- Mercantile Bank of Michigan
Extensive experience as counsel to banks and other institutional lenders in commercial lending matters.
Negotiation and documentation of all types of loan transactions, from single-bank middle market credit facilities to lead counsel to agent bank in multibank, syndicated credit facilities, including secured and unsecured credits, leveraged buyouts, construction lending, foreign currency facilities and letters of credit.
Secured lending experience in all types of real and personal property collateral.
Counsel to borrowers in connection with various financing transactions, including secured borrowing, debt restructuring and off-balance sheet financing.
Local counsel to out-of-state lenders and borrowers with respect to Michigan law matters.
- Representation of arranger, collateral agent and administrative agent in connection with $150 million secured multibank/multi-currency revolving credit public company restructuring syndicated credit facility, with intercreditor arrangements with other senior debt
- Representation of lender in connection with a $50 million secured revolver/term loan financing an acquisition by a private equity firm.
- Representation of lender in a work-out of large, diversified number of loans to related borrowers over several states with aggregate exposure exceeded $80 million.
- Assisted client who was a minority investor in a real estate project in Florida in connection with the acquisition/assignment, on a discounted basis, of $103 million loan secured by real estate in Florida, together with subsequent restructuring activities including acquisition of the real estate through a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure.
- Representation of lender in connection with work-out of multiple loans to automotive supplier and related borrowers, resulting in a subsequent note sale transaction.
- Representation of Chapter 11 debtor over a several month period in connection with restructuring of hundreds of real estate leases across the country.
- State Bar of Michigan (Business Law Section)
- Leadership Ann Arbor, 2002-2003
- Instructor, Wayne State University Law School, Commercial Law Clinic, 1995 and 1996
- Detroit Compact, Detroit Public Schools, 1995 and 1996