Education & Credentials
University of MichiganB.A., 1984
- With Honors
University of Michigan Law SchoolJ.D., 1987
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Peer Review Rating
- Bank of America, N.A.
- Citizens Bank, N.A.
- Detroit Investment Fund
- Fifth Third Bank
- Export Development Canada
- The Huntington National Bank
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Mercantile Bank of Michigan
- PNC Bank, N.A.
- Mezzanine Opportunities LLC
- RBS Citizens, N.A.
- Wells Fargo Bank, National Association
- Styron LLC
Generally, counsel for banks, other senior and subordinate lenders, and borrowers on commercial finance matters throughout various market segments, including cashflow-based and asset-based credit facilities, multibank, syndicated credit facilities, ESOP transactions, cross-border and foreign currency transactions, secured and unsecured mezzanine loans, acquisition and buyout financing, construction lending, equipment financing, mortgage and equipment lease warehouse facilities, commercial and standby letters of credit, including credit enhancement and liquidity support arrangements, acceptances, transactions with non-profit and governmental borrowers, loan sales and participations, and subordination and intercreditor arrangements. Counsel for secured creditors on transactions involving real property, owner-occupied and leased, and various types of personal property collateral, including aircraft, chattel paper, deposit accounts, intellectual property, rolling stock, securities and vessels. Comprehensive third-party opinion practice, including as local counsel for borrowers and out-of-state lenders with respect to Michigan law.
Counsel for lender group Agent:
- Syndicated working capital facility for national automotive-related retail chain
- Syndicated working capital facility for international clothing manufacturer
- Multiborrower, secured, portfolio purchase funding facility for purchasers of charged-off debt
- Multiborrower, real estate-secured working capital and multiple term loan facility for trucking and warehousing business
- Secured credit facility for national wine and spirits distributor
- Capital fundraising bridge facility for municipal zoo
Counsel for Bank:
- Secured US and Canadian currency working capital and equipment financing for US auto supplier and US and Canadian affiliates
- Senior secured working capital and term financing used with mezzanine financing by equity sponsor for acquisition of business process outsourcing company
- Working capital and co-equity sponsor buyout financing for services company, with mezzanine component
Working capital and term financing for national chain of childcare centers involving real estate collateral throughout the country
- Real estate-secured revolving credit and term loan for movie theater chain
- Construction loan for multistory loft condominium building
- Term loans for leased strip centers
- Line of credit facility for charitable trust
- Equipment lease and conditional sale contract warehouse facility
- Letter of credit supporting airport revenue refunding bonds
- Letter of credit supporting revenue bonds to fund charter school construction
Counsel for Mezzanine Lender:
- Secured note and warrant purchase acquisition financing for trade-promotion software provider
- Secured note and warrant purchase transaction for medical transportation provider
- Developed complete set of Michigan law form loan documents for use by national community association lender
- Developed form loan documents for emergency student loan program of private university
- Representation of companies, and their owners in connection with the financing of sales of stock to ESOPs
- American Bar Association - Business Law Section; Committees on Commercial Financial Services, Lender Relations and Lender Liability, Loan Documentation, Secured Transactions, Syndications and Uniform Commercial Code
- Michigan Bar Association - Business Law and Real Property Law Sections
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Former Co-Chair, Dickinson Wright Associate Mentoring Program
- Detroit Legal Services Clinic Volunteer
- Detroit Public Schools Volunteer Reading Corps.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Grosse Pointe Public Schools Volunteer