Andre Poles is a Partner in Dickinson Wright’s Toronto office. He has spent over 20 years advising clients in the financial services industry, focusing his practice on corporate finance for public and private companies.
Andre advises issuers in all industries, as well as Canadian and foreign dealers, on the full range of legal and compliance issues related to accessing the Canadian capital markets when offering of securities in public offerings and private placements. Andre regularly provides Canadian and foreign registrants with advice on complying with the Canadian securities regulatory regime as it applies to their operations and activities in Canada. Andre also advises fund managers, investment advisers and distributors on all aspects related to the sale of and the administration of retail mutual funds, exempt pooled funds, structured products, hedge funds and other investment funds in Canada.
Andre provides a unique blend of practical business focused legal advice which he has developed having previously acted as general counsel and chief compliance officer for a number of private Canadian wealth management firms, and held senior in-house roles with several global bulge bracket financial services firms. In addition to his in-house experience, Andre has also practiced with three of Canada’s leading business law firms.
Outside of the practice of law, Andre returned to service in the Canadian Forces Primary Reserve in 2019. Andre had retired from the position of Regimental Major with the 48th Highlanders of Canada in 2012, having previously served as Deputy Commanding Officer, Operations Officer and Adjutant as well has holding command appointments at the Rifle Company and Platoon levels. Andre is a graduate of a number of courses at the Canadian Army Command and Staff College and the Infantry School. He has completed both the Canadian Securities Course and the Partners, Directors’ & Officers’ Course through the Canadian Securities Institute.
Osgoode Hall Law SchoolJ.D., 1994
University of TorontoB.A., 1990
- Whos Who Legal
- Private Funds, 2023
- Best Lawyers in Canada®
- Corporate Finance, 2018-2022
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Corporate Counsel Association
- Royal Canadian Military Institute
- The Law Society (England & Wales)
- Director, Echelon Foundation
- Director, Echelon Donor Advised Foundation
- Co-Author, “Amendments to Canadian Securities Exchange Policies,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, Jul 2023
- Co-Author, "TSX Amends Rules for Pricing of Public Offerings," Dickinson Wright All Things Canada Blog, May 2023
- Co-Author, “Dealing with Your Obligations to Clients During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, April 2020
- Co-Author, "Temporary Exemptive Relief from Certain Securities Regulatory Filing Requirements during the COVID-19 Pandemic," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020