- Krieger, John L.
- Media Mentions
Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
John Krieger (Member, Las Vegas) spoke with Bloomberg Law about copyright issues arising from the Hamilton: the Exhibit, a biographical museum exhibition based on the life of Alexander Hamilton for an article titled “Hamilton Spat Shows Challenge in Carving Copyrights From History.” The exhibit is the creation of the producers of Hamilton, the historical Broadway musical about Alexander Hamilton’s life and the formation of the United States of America, working under the name Hamilton Exhibition LLC. During the exhibit’s development, Hamilton Exhibition was working with Imagine Exhibitions Inc. (IEI) Hamilton Exhibition went on to produce the exhibit when the relationship went sour, suing IEI for breach of contract. IEI countersued, contending that it was abruptly and unjustly terminated, and that Hamilton Exhibition had infringed its copyrights with its final product. IEI faced an uphill battle to demonstrate that Hamilton Exhibition infringed the arrangement of factual information, along with how it was represented, because facts can’t be copyrighted.
“Whenever you’re dealing with things like this, it’s really important to distinguish between the story and the facts,” John said. “Whenever you’re dealing with a case involving historical references or facts, make sure you’re being critical in your analysis.”
- October 24, 2023 Podcasts DW FastTrack Episode 3: How to Best Utilize Outside Counsel
- October 10, 2023 Podcasts DW FastTrack Episode 2: Twitter Rebrand to X with Caleb Green
- October 10, 2023 Video Minutes on the Matter with Jeffrey Kass: Keyword Bidding on Search Engines
- September 28, 2023 In the News Alexandria Chun Joins Dickinson Wright Toronto Office
- September 28, 2023 In the News Matthew Powell and Michael Spink Listed in the 2023 Edition of the IAM Strategy 300
- August 14, 2023 In the News Sanjukta Tole Recognized in Who’s Who Legal Intellectual Property 2023 Guide
- July 10, 2023 In the News Twelve Dickinson Wright Attorneys Listed as 2023 IP Stars
- June 28, 2023 In the News Caleb Green Receives the 2023 Young Lawyer of the Year Award from the State Bar of Nevada
- June 26, 2023 In the News Three Dickinson Wright Attorneys Recognized in Florida Super Lawyers