- Krieger, John L.
- Media Mentions
John Krieger (Member, Las Vegas) spoke with Bloomberg Law about copyright issues arising from the Hamilton: the Exhibit, a biographical museum exhibition based on the life of Alexander Hamilton for an article titled “Hamilton Spat Shows Challenge in Carving Copyrights From History.” The exhibit is the creation of the producers of Hamilton, the historical Broadway musical about Alexander Hamilton’s life and the formation of the United States of America, working under the name Hamilton Exhibition LLC. During the exhibit’s development, Hamilton Exhibition was working with Imagine Exhibitions Inc. (IEI) Hamilton Exhibition went on to produce the exhibit when the relationship went sour, suing IEI for breach of contract. IEI countersued, contending that it was abruptly and unjustly terminated, and that Hamilton Exhibition had infringed its copyrights with its final product. IEI faced an uphill battle to demonstrate that Hamilton Exhibition infringed the arrangement of factual information, along with how it was represented, because facts can’t be copyrighted.
“Whenever you’re dealing with things like this, it’s really important to distinguish between the story and the facts,” John said. “Whenever you’re dealing with a case involving historical references or facts, make sure you’re being critical in your analysis.”
- February 19, 2020 Webinars Strategies to Protect Software Technology
- January 22, 2020 In the News Yuri Chumak Recognized in IAM Global Leaders 2020
- January 8, 2020 In the News Yuri Chumak Joins Dickinson Wright LLP as a Partner
- November 25, 2019 Landlords Beware A Tenants Junk Could Be Valuable
- November 12, 2019 In the News Matthew Powell Joins Dickinson Wright LLP
- November 11, 2019 In the News Shauna Norton Joins Dickinson Wright's Las Vegas Office
- November 6, 2019 In the News Frank Long Selected by The IP Lawyers as a Recommended Adviser
- September 17, 2019 Speaking Engagements William Honaker Authors “A Business Owner’s Guide to Intellectual Property: Turn Your Ideas Into Gold”
- September 14, 2019 Media Mentions William Honaker Published in IP Watchdog on Protecting Trade Secrets