- Krieger, John L.
- Media Mentions
Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
John Krieger (Member, Las Vegas) spoke with Bloomberg Law about copyright issues arising from the Hamilton: the Exhibit, a biographical museum exhibition based on the life of Alexander Hamilton for an article titled “Hamilton Spat Shows Challenge in Carving Copyrights From History.” The exhibit is the creation of the producers of Hamilton, the historical Broadway musical about Alexander Hamilton’s life and the formation of the United States of America, working under the name Hamilton Exhibition LLC. During the exhibit’s development, Hamilton Exhibition was working with Imagine Exhibitions Inc. (IEI) Hamilton Exhibition went on to produce the exhibit when the relationship went sour, suing IEI for breach of contract. IEI countersued, contending that it was abruptly and unjustly terminated, and that Hamilton Exhibition had infringed its copyrights with its final product. IEI faced an uphill battle to demonstrate that Hamilton Exhibition infringed the arrangement of factual information, along with how it was represented, because facts can’t be copyrighted.
“Whenever you’re dealing with things like this, it’s really important to distinguish between the story and the facts,” John said. “Whenever you’re dealing with a case involving historical references or facts, make sure you’re being critical in your analysis.”
- January 18, 2022 Industry Alerts Proposed Changes to the Canadian Patent Rules
- January 10, 2022 Industry Alerts Canadian Trademarks
- December 14, 2021 In the News Yuri Chumak Recognized In IAM Global Leaders 2022
- December 02, 2021 Industry Alerts Brand Protection and Fighting Fakes Online
- November 3, 2021 Webinars Protecting Software Intellectual Property in Electric and Autonomous Vehicle Technologies
- October 26, 2021 In the News Sanjukta Tole Quoted by Canadian Lawyer Magazine on Upcoming Changes to Process Before Trademarks Opposition Board
- September 22, 2021 In the News Five Dickinson Wright Attorneys Named 2021 Texas Super Lawyers
- September 21, 2021 Media Mentions Lance Anderson Quoted by Technology Transfer Tactics on Sublicensing Terms
- September 1, 2021 In the News Sanjukta S. Tole Joins Dickinson Wright LLP as a Partner