In the current competitive business environment, organizations must protect and distinguish their products and services from regional, national and global competition. Therefore, obtaining and monitoring trademarks and service marks is of critical importance.
Dickinson Wright helps clients select, register and monitor enforcement of their valuable trademarks and service marks. Because of our relationship with more than 200 foreign intellectual property firms worldwide, we can help our clients obtain trademarks in any country.
Dickinson Wright’s client base for trademark issues spans a wide range of key industries, including: automotive, broadcasting, chemicals, consumer electronics, design and advertising; e-commerce, food and beverage; health care, real estate and development; pharmaceuticals and publishing. Our team is trusted to protect trademarks for a number of brands that are household names.
Some of the trademarks practice’s areas of expertise include:
- Providing counsel on trademark screening/selection, availability and usage.
- Registering trademarks with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and appropriate state offices and in the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.
- Maintaining, monitoring and enforcing trademarks, including trademark opposition and cancellation/expungement proceedings.
- Managing and maintaining trademark portfolios through coordination of anti-counterfeiting investigations, seizures and forfeitures in federal criminal prosecutions.
- Performing due diligence and intellectual property audits on trademarks for mergers, acquisitions, technology transfers, IPOs, financing and other commercial transactions.