University of MichiganB.A.
Wayne State UniversityJ.D.
- cum laude
Wayne State UniversityLL.M
- Recognized as Recommended Lawyer by The Legal 500, 2017
- Wind Point Partners
- Long Point Capital
- Superior Capital Partners
- Nelson-Miller, Inc.
- Active Interest Media, Inc.
- Dianne's Fine Desserts
- Peninsula Capital Partners
- Arrow Tru Line, Inc.
- Aftermarket Controls Corporation
- Yachting Promotions, Inc.
- Knape & Vogt Manufacturing Company
Experienced in the following areas:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Federal, international, and state and local taxation
- Limited liability companies
- Partnerships and Subchapter S Corporations
- Corporate restructuring and reorganizations
- General corporate tax planning
- Joint venture structuring
- Organization and capitalization of business entities, and private equity funds
- Business succession planning
- R&D Tax Credit matters
Counsel to private equity firms in acquisition, divestiture and financing of portfolio companies as well as portfolio company counsel as to ongoing legal affairs and in relation to numerous "add-on" acquisitions.
Counsel to various publicly and privately owned companies in numerous merger and acquisition transactions, including LBO's, MBO's, recapitalization and divestiture transactions.
Outside counsel to UMA Enterprises, Inc. Active Interest Media, Inc., InterMedia Outdoors, Inc., Knape & Vogt Manufacturing Company and numerous portfolio companies of private equity firms.
Counsel to organizers in the structuring and capitalization of limited liability companies and other business entities.
Counsel to numerous entities in relation to contract and general corporate matters with a focus on tax planning.
Counsel to clients in audit and tax controversy matters, including acting as counsel to TG Missouri in TG Missouri Corp. v. Commissioner, 133 TC 13 (2009).
- State Bar of Michigan
- Metropolitan Detroit Bar Association
- Tax Council Member and Former Chairperson of the Federal Income Tax Committee of the Tax Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Association of Corporate Growth Detroit, Member of Board of Directors and Programming Committee
- Former treasurer and member of Board of Directors, Grosse Pointe Hockey Association
- Founding committee member of Micro Enterprise Law Collective (to encourage business growth in distressed communities)
- Lecturer, The Institute for Continuing Legal Education - Annual Business Law Institute, "Tax Consequences of Business Entity Choices"
- Lecturer, Federal Income Tax Committee of The Tax Section of The State Bar of Michigan, "The New Partnership Audit Rules"
- Lecturer, National Business Institute, “Buying and Selling a Business in Michigan”
- Lecturer, Michigan Association of CPAs, “Income Tax Implications of Environmental Expenditures”
- Author of Chapter XV, “Mergers/Acquisitions” of “A Contractor’s Guide to Michigan Construction Law”, published by the Association of General Contractors of Michigan
- Author of Chapter, “The Future of Tax Law for Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds,” for “Inside the Minds, Tax Law Developments Affecting Private Equity and Venture Capital,” published by Aspatore Books, a Thomson Reuters Business
- Lecturer, Taxation Section of the State Bar of Michigan Annual Tax Conference, “Target Allocations: The Cutting Edge in Tax Allocations for LLC Operating Agreements”
- Moderator of panel discussion, Association of Corporate Growth-Detroit, "You Closed, Now What? - A Six Month Post-Closing Plan"
- Lecturer, Federal Income Tax Committee of the Tax Section of the Michigan Bar, "Purchase Price Allocations and Related Issues"
- Panelist, Association of Corporate Growth - Detroit, "Transactional Due Diligence - Looking Beyond the Numbers"