The government is the largest single consumer of goods and services in the world and its business activities are regulated by a myriad of statutes and regulations unlike anything in the commercial marketplace. That’s why organizations that do business with the government need a legal partner with experience navigating this sector.
Dickinson Wright has an established national and international government contracts team that incorporates expertise and experience from multiple disciplines. We understand federal contracting rules and how to apply them to help companies manage the unique risks they face. Additionally, our team possesses the judgment to advise companies involved in the federal market on the impact of federal contracting laws on their overall business interests. Our lawyers hold various levels of security clearances, enabling us to represent clients on a broad range of classified national security matters.
Dickinson Wright represents companies conducting business with the government from a vast array of industries including: healthcare, defense, information technology, business consulting, energy and security. We regularly serve as general counsel to companies that don’t have this type of expertise in-house.
Among the Government Contract practice's expertise are:
- Advising clients on the rules and requirements of day-to-day compliance and performance issues.
- Representing both buyers and sellers in corporate transactions involving government contractors, including a number of international transactions with Exon-Florio and Foreign Ownership and Control (FOCI) issues.
- Advising small businesses on Small Business Administration (SBA) rules governing federal procurement and preference programs.
- Counseling clients in the negotiation of contracts, subcontracts, cooperative research and development agreements (CRADAs), other transaction agreements (OTAs) and cooperative agreements.
- Advising clients on government intellectual property matters including the Bayh-Dole Act, the FAR and DFARS requirements.
- Advising clients on contracts and grants awarded with American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) funding including ARRA's statutory compliance and reporting requirements.
- Defending our clients’ interests in litigation, including claims, bid protests, prime/subcontractor disputes, audits, investigations and enforcement actions.
- Representing clients in False Claims Act (qui tam) cases and investigations.