Dickinson Wright is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and is a recognized leader among law firms for our diversity initiatives. For decades, Dickinson Wright has been a pioneer in all aspects of diversity – both within the firm and in the communities where we do business. From the associate level up to management, we are committed to recruiting and supporting diverse candidates. We know that a diverse team enables us to offer our clients a variety of mindsets when approaching complex legal issues.
Diversity Mission Statement:
We follow an established set of policies, practices and programs to demonstrate measurable progress towards a genuinely open, transparent, fair and inclusive workplace. In support of our diversity mission, the firm has adopted the following Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
To cultivate an organization, at every level, that is as diverse as the communities in which it works, and as diverse as the clients it serves. To encourage the inclusion of backgrounds, ideas, and beliefs that span a broad range of the human experience by embracing our commonalities and respecting the differences among us. To promote individual success by providing all persons with opportunities to achieve their full potential as organizational goals are pursued.
The Firm resolves to accomplish its mission by:
- Fostering a respectful and supportive work environment for all lawyers and staff;
- Continuously seeking to increase the number of diverse lawyers and staff through targeted recruitment, retention and promotion programs;
- Creating and expanding upon programs to support, mentor and sponsor diversity;
- Arranging social, professional development and networking opportunities tailored to meet the needs of our diverse colleagues;
- Managing and monitoring the allocation and quality of work assignments provided to diverse lawyers to maximize access/exposure to a wide variety of the Firm’s clients and to the partners and leadership of the Firm; and
- Ensuring that lawyers and staff of varying backgrounds and perspectives are represented in leadership positions within the Firm.
Learn about the Dickinson Wright Women’s Network.
The overall goal of the Diversity Committee is to ensure that Dickinson Wright’s corporate culture is one of inclusion – at every level and in every aspect of the firm. Through the Diversity Committee, the firm’s leadership recommends and implements strategies and practices consistent with our commitment to diversity. The Diversity Committee includes the chairman of the firm, a member of the Management Group and several equity members with key client relationships. In addition, a member of the Diversity Committee serves on each of the firm's standing committees to ensure a continued focus on advancing our diversity goals.
We offer training and education throughout the firm on the importance of diversity and the role of each person in promoting an inclusive work environment that allows everyone to succeed.
Supporting Diversity in the Community
Our commitment to diversity goes beyond internal initiatives; we support diversity in the legal profession and in the community in general. In particular, we are committed to funding scholarships and supporting academic programs to recruit minority and female students into the legal profession. We firmly believe that it is our duty to look outside the firm and promote diversity: in bar organizations, community activities, with our clients and anywhere else where we can have an impact.
As part of our collaboration in the legal profession we signed the Managing Partners Diversity Collaborative Agreement between the Grand Rapids Bar Association and 12 other law firms to begin discussions on how to promote diversity and inclusion in our law firms and the Bar. The action plan will address these initial challenges:
- Increasing the number of lawyers of color in our organization.
- Improving the rate of retention and advancement of female lawyers and lawyers of color.
- Expanding the pipeline of persons of color who enter law school and the legal profession.