Member and Practice Department Manager: Labor & Employment
Successfully represented a Fortune 500 company in federal court by developing an innovative defense strategy which effectively decertified an FLSA class/collective action and prevented court-approved notice from issuing, saving the company millions in potential damages and defense costs.
Recently achieved a favorable result for one of nation’s largest medical staffing companies in FLSA class/collective action filed in federal court.
Recently successfully defended a national computer sales company preventing class certification in a federal FLSA class/collective action seeking to reclassify entire sales staff as non-exempt.
Recently drafted and assisted in implementation of an arbitration program for large nationwide computer company, saving significant financial and human resources associated with traditional litigation and reducing future risk and exposure.
Successfully defended against collateral attacks seeking to vacate favorable arbitration awards achieved for clients, including a successful opposition to petition for certiorari filed with US Supreme Court.
Successfully defended national guard staffing company in arbitration actions brought by union alleging breach of collective bargaining agreement in the discipline/discharge of guards.
Significant class action experience in employment and consumer cases including:
- Numerous FLSA cases involving application of the Executive, Administrative and Outside Sales Exemptions;
- Numerous FLSA cases involving “off-the-clock” or “computer time shaving” allegations;
- Wage and hour claims under various state laws;
- Consumer class actions under TILA, FCRA, and FCC Truth in Billing Act;
Served as neutral and/or arbitrator in FMLA, FLSA, Title VII, Stored Communications Act, construction and breach of contract disputes, and insurance agency/business dispute cases.
Akal Security, Inc.
Bass Pro Outdoor World, LLC
Clients in consumer, Title VII, ADEA, ADA, FMLA, FLSA and wrongful termination matters.
GHA Technologies, Inc.
Industrial Boiler & Mechanical Inc.
Johnson Control, Inc.
Quality Systems, Inc.
Team Health Inc.
Universal Safety Response, Inc.
Companies in labor and employment and class/collective action matters.
Clients regarding confidentiality, non-compete and separation agreements.
Clients regarding arbitration and litigation avoidance.
- Tennessee Bar Association, Section on Labor & Employment Law Member
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Member (Class Action and Multidistrict Litigation and ADR Sections)
- Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Rule 31 Listed (General Civil and/or Family) Mediator
- Member, Tennessee Association of Professional Mediators
- “Supreme Court Greatly Expands Title VII Retaliation Claims,” March 2011
- “The Class Action Du Jour: Suits Against ATM Operators for Failure to Post Proper Notices on ATM Exterior,” September 2010
- “Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009” January 2009
- New White-collar Regulations: “If it Ain’t Broke…,” Nashville Bar Journal, June 2004.
- Fair Labor Standards Act Litigation & Class Action Issues, June 2002 Tennessee Bar Association’s Sixth Annual Labor and Employment Law Form.
- Federal Wage & Hour Law – Basics and Pitfalls to Avoid, September 2002.
- Hot Issues in Fair Labor Standard Act Litigation: Seemingly Small Violations Can Add Up, October 2002.