On February 1, 2017, the British Columbia Franchises Act and Regulations came into effect making British Columbia the sixth province in Canada with franchise legislation. The introduction of franchise legislation in British Columbia means franchisors operating in the Province will need to create or revise existing franchise disclosure documents (for other Provinces) in order to meet their obligations under the new laws.
While substantially similar to franchise legislation in other provinces, the British Columbia franchise legislation does bear differences that franchisors need to be aware of including those pertaining to:
- Methods of Delivery
- Financial Statements
- Advertising Funds
- Training and Manuals
- Territory and Proximity
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Information on Current and Former Franchisees
- Negative Statements
- Guarantees and Security Interests
To learn more about the British Columbia franchise legislation or for assistance in creating or making necessary changes to your franchise disclosure documents, please contact our Franchise & Distribution Group.
This client alert is published by Dickinson Wright LLP to inform our clients and friends of important developments in the field of franchise and distribution law. The content is informational only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We encourage you to consult a Dickinson Wright attorney if you have specific questions or concerns relating to any of the topics covered in here.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ned Levitt is a Partner in Dickinson Wright’s Toronto office. He can be reached at 416.646.3842 or email@example.com
Andrae Marrocco is a Partner in Dickinson Wright’s Toronto office. He can be reached at 416.777.4046 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like a printable version of this franchise client alert, click here.
- June 2017 Industry Alerts Proposed Changes to Ontario Employment and Labour Laws
- May 2017 Industry Alerts New Arizona Law Releases Chokehold on Franchise Employment Status Dilemma
- March 2017 Industry Alerts Franchise and Distribution News
- October 2016 Industry Alerts BC Finalizes Franchise Laws
- June 2016 Industry Alerts Electronic and Courier Delivery Coming to Ontario
- May 31, 2016 Seminars Franchise Breakfast Roundtable
- April 2016 Industry Alerts Franchise & Distribution News, Number 2
- January 19, 2016 Webinars Franchise Disclosure Compliance: The Nuts & Bolts - United States
- January 19, 2016 Webinars Franchise Disclosure Compliance: The Nuts & Bolts - Canada