- Swick, Brenda C.
- Speaking Engagements
The Parliament of Canada, Parliament Hill - Room 160-S, Centre Block , Ottawa, Ontario
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
from 9:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
at: The Parliament of Canada
Parliament Hill - Room 160-S, Centre Block
Ottawa, ON Canada
Brenda Swick (Partner, Toronto) has been invited to be a panelist at the Senate Open Caucus on the benefits and challenges related to the modernization of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
The Open Caucus was first established in 2014 when Senate Liberals opened their Caucus doors to the public on Wednesday mornings. Now, the Independent Senators Group (ISG) and the Independent Senate Liberals are co-sponsoring discussions on issues of national importance. This non-partisan collaboration brings together two groups representing the majority of the Senate’s current membership. We also open our doors to all Parliamentarians, members of the public, and the media.
This particular meeting will take place on Wednesday, October 18th, from 9:15 a.m. -11:15 a.m. in Room 160-S, Centre Block. NAFTA created a highly integrated system amongst the three member states with many economic benefits.
There is a need for a readjustment of the NAFTA which addresses major shifts in the global climate. With the current negotiations underway it is important that Canadians are informed of the challenges and rewards that will come with a modernized agreement. This new agreement will have to address a wide range of sectors and issues, such as: supply management, investment, intellectual property, telecommunications, e-commerce, the environment, freedom of movement, energy, rules of origin, and dispute resolution and much more. Considering the complexities involved in renegotiating this expansive trade agreement we ask the question: how will a modernized NAFTA impact Canadians and Canada’s relationship with our North American partners?
- May 30, 2018 & June 6, 2018 Conferences Marijuana Policy Forum Event on May 30, 2018 and June 6, 2018
- May 24, 2018 Special Events Inside the Cauldron: Government, Criminal & Civil Enforcement, Compliance & Cybersecurity Hot Topics 2018 on May 24, 2018
- May 23, 2018 Conferences MICPA Conference- Employment Law: It Affects Family Companies Too on May 23, 2018
- May 23, 2018 Media Mentions Lawyer Timothy Gary Quoted in the Healthcare Finance Article, “CMS price posting rule may spark confusion when prices don't match what patients have to pay”
- May 22, 2018 Media Mentions Lawyer Gregory Cahill Quoted in the Construction Dive Article, “The Dotted Line: What contractors need to know about arbitration”
- May 19, 2018 - May 24, 2018 Conferences 140th INTA Annual Meeting: The Must-Attend Event for IP Stakeholders on May 19 - 23, 2018
- May 18, 2018 In the News Five Dickinson Wright Attorneys Recognized in the 2018 IP Stars
- May 18, 2018 Media Mentions Lawyer Kate Lowenhar-Fisher Quoted in the USA Today Article “Sports betting: Congress may try to regulate, but passage of any legislation is a long shot”
- May 17, 2018 - May 20, 2018 Conferences Sports Lawyers Association 44th Annual Conference on May 17 - 19, 2018