- Swick, Brenda C.
- Speaking Engagements
The Parliament of Canada, Parliament Hill - Room 160-S, Centre Block , Ottawa, Ontario
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
from 9:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
at: The Parliament of Canada
Parliament Hill - Room 160-S, Centre Block
Ottawa, ON Canada
Brenda Swick (Partner, Toronto) has been invited to be a panelist at the Senate Open Caucus on the benefits and challenges related to the modernization of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
The Open Caucus was first established in 2014 when Senate Liberals opened their Caucus doors to the public on Wednesday mornings. Now, the Independent Senators Group (ISG) and the Independent Senate Liberals are co-sponsoring discussions on issues of national importance. This non-partisan collaboration brings together two groups representing the majority of the Senate’s current membership. We also open our doors to all Parliamentarians, members of the public, and the media.
This particular meeting will take place on Wednesday, October 18th, from 9:15 a.m. -11:15 a.m. in Room 160-S, Centre Block. NAFTA created a highly integrated system amongst the three member states with many economic benefits.
There is a need for a readjustment of the NAFTA which addresses major shifts in the global climate. With the current negotiations underway it is important that Canadians are informed of the challenges and rewards that will come with a modernized agreement. This new agreement will have to address a wide range of sectors and issues, such as: supply management, investment, intellectual property, telecommunications, e-commerce, the environment, freedom of movement, energy, rules of origin, and dispute resolution and much more. Considering the complexities involved in renegotiating this expansive trade agreement we ask the question: how will a modernized NAFTA impact Canadians and Canada’s relationship with our North American partners?
- March 29, 2018 Seminars West Tennessee Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Seminar on Thursday, March 29, 2018
- March 28, 2018 Webinars A Time for Tariffs: Steel and Aluminum (and maybe more?) on March 28, 2018
- March 27, 2018 Webinars Can You Accommodate My Tattooed Ferret? Approaching Disability and Religious Accommodations in the Millennial Age Webinar on March 27, 2018
- March 27, 2018 - March 28, 2018 Conferences 27th Annual Sustainability & EHS Symposium on March 27-28, 2018
- March 23, 2018 Seminars ACG NY and Toronto Joint Event on March 23, 2018
- March 22, 2018 Seminars Data Bites Luncheon Seminar Series on March 22, 2018
- March 22 2018 Media Mentions Lawyer Dan Ujczo Interviewed in the Ohio's Country Journal and Ohio Ag Net Article “A NAFTA agreement could open doors around the world for U.S. agriculture”
- March 2018 Industry Alerts Section 232 Steel and Aluminum Tariffs – Commerce Issues Requirements for Exclusion Requests
- March 20, 2018 Media Mentions Lawyer Brenda Swick Authored The Lawyer’s Daily article “B.C. Log Export Restrictions The Big Change In Softwood Lumber Dispute"