Will Dorton is Of Counsel with Dickinson Wright’s Corporate, M&A and Securities practice group. He offers a unique perspective to business and financial services firms, having previously served as a corporate transactional attorney with a leading international law firm, in-house corporate and securities counsel with a global, NYSE-listed manufacturing and retail company and as a staff attorney in the Division of Corporation Finance at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Mr. Dorton has significant experience working directly with members of executive teams and boards of directors on securities, governance, finance, M&A and treasury matters. He advises on all aspects of compliance with federal securities laws as well as general corporate governance matters. In addition, Will works with clients on M&A and finance transactions. He has represented lead arrangers, lenders, borrowers and private equity firms in a variety of transactions, including syndicated credit facilities, private placements, high-yield debt offerings, acquisition financings and recapitalizations. He also has broad experience with commercial contracts and all aspects of entity formation and maintenance.
Mr. Dorton has worked with U.S. and foreign bank and nonbank financial services companies on a variety of regulatory and transactional matters, both in private practice and as a member of the Office of Financial Services in the Division of Corporation Finance at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.*Not admitted to practice in the State of Kentucky.
University of Kentucky College of LawJ.D., 2011
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Kentucky Law Journal
Washington University in St. LouisB.A., Anthropology, Religion, Philosophy, 2005
- cum laude
- 8th Annual MiBiz M&A Deals & Dealmakers
- Banking/Finance Deal of the Year, Advisor, 2021
- Co-Author, "SEC Expands Accredited Investor Definition, Giving Impetus to Private Markets," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, Sept 2020
- Co-Author, "SEC Issues Supplemental COVID-19 Guidance on Disclosure Considerations Relating to Operations, Liquidity, and Capital Resources," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, June 2020
- Co-Author, “Dealing with Your Obligations to Clients During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, April 2020
- Corporate Gatekeepers: An Examination of the Transactional Lawyer's Role, Kentucky Law Journal, 2010