Education & Credentials
Western Michigan UniversityB.S., 1976
- cum laude
- Honors in Political Science
- Honors in History
University of Detroit School of LawJ.D., 1979
- Recipient of the William H. Gallagher Moot Court Award
- Landlord Tenant Clinic
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning Law
- Grand Rapids Magazine
- "Top Lawyers," Energy Law, Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate, 2019-2020
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- Land Use and Zoning, Real Estate, Energy & Natural Resources, 2006-2021
- Western Michigan University
- Alumni Achievement Award, College of Arts and Sciences, 2005
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Construction Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Real Estate Law, 2010-2023
- "Lawyer of the Year," Land Use and Zoning Law, 2019
- Kirlin Company
- Kaftan Enterprises, Inc.
- Little Caesar Enterprises, Inc.
- The Meade Group, Inc.
- Olympia Entertainment, Inc.
- Summit Academy
- Universal Learning Academy
- Summit Academy North
- Bouma Construction
- Universal Academy
- Star International Academy
- Lucky 7 Development, LLC
- Invenergy LLC
- Kelly Electric LLC
- Holy Cross Children Services
- Ralph Vigliotti Realty
- Ilitch Holdings LLC
- Hoosier Energy Rural Electric Cooperative
- Detroit Red Wings
- Detroit Tigers
- Mahlmann Media
Counsel for development of national fast food and pharmacy stores.
Counsel for residential development inclusive of State and Federal national permits, environmental impact assessments, evaluation of alternatives and mitigation plans.
Counsel for development of Michigan intermodal warehouse developments.
Counsel for development in Arizona for charter school project.
Counsel for development for student housing projects.
Counsel for charter school development and school administration.
Constitutional law, with an emphasis on substantive due process, procedural due process, equal protection and state and federal jurisdictional issues.
Counsel for Carabell inclusive of permits, environmental impact assessments, evaluation and implementation of alternatives and mitigation plans.
Briefed and argued Carabell v Army Corp of Engineers, 126 S.Ct.2208 (2006) before the United States Supreme Court, February 21, 2006.
Brownfield development, Detroit, Michigan Lafarge Corporation, including construction, permits, financial incentives and environmental impact assessments, evaluation and implementation of alternatives and mitigation plans.
Detroit Public Housing, Parkside Development, Detroit, Michigan, including financial incentives and construction.
Counsel for land use permits/construction documents, power purchase agreement, MDOT and county construction crossing permits for wind energy project and environmental impact assessments, evaluation of alternatives and mitigation plans.
Mixed Use Master Plan and SD-4 Zoning Ordinance, Detroit Near East Riverfront, 1990s.
Counsel for land use permits for land-fill gas cogeneration facility inclusive of environmental impact assessments, evaluation of alternatives and mitigation plans.
- Michigan Bar Association, June 1980 to date
- Michigan Bar Association, 1980 to date. Section Member, Michigan Real Property Section, Zoning and Land Use Committee
- American Bar Association , 2006 to date. Section Member, State and Local Government
- American Arbitration Association, 1982 to 2000. Advisory Board for State of Michigan
- National Business Institute, "Michigan Survey Issues and Land Use Law in a Slower Economy"
- Michigan Real Property Review, "Special Land Uses"
- CLE International, "Carabell/Rapanos: Did the United States Supreme Court Decision Resolve the Issue of Federal Jurisdiction over Michigan Wetlands?"
- Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Zoning 101, Plymouth, Michigan, May 7, 2009
- Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Land Use and Development 2007, Plymouth, Michigan, March, 18, 2007
- Tennessee Bar Association, Environmental Law Forum, Rapanos, What Does it Mean To You, What’s Next, February 9, 2007
- American Bar Association, Salt Lake City, February, 2007
- CLE Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Land Use and Development 2007
- Environmental Law Institute, the American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy and Natural Resources, Constitutional Committee; and the D.C Bar Association, Energy and Natural Resources Section, “After Rapanos and Carabell, Washington D.C. July 11, 2006
- Lorman Education Services, January 2005, Documentation Issues For Condos, Planned Communities and Urban Development in Michigan
- National Business Institutes, 1996, Michigan Survey Issues
- National Business Institutes, 1995, Major Land Use Issues In Michigan
- National Business Institutes, 1992, Land Use Law In A Slower Economy
- Throughout 1990’s trained construction arbitrators in Michigan for the American Arbitration Association Construction Division
- Michigan Institute of Continuing Education, Wetlands Regulations and Litigation, September 18, 2007
- Michigan Environmental Law Journal Vol. 24, No. 2, 2006 "Carabell/Rapanos- Did the United States Decision Resolve The Issue Of Federal Jurisdiction Over Wetlands?"
- CLE International California Wetland, Rapanos, Carabell and Beyond, January 4th, 2007
- Michigan Bar Association, Real Property Review, The “Special Land Use”, What Is It and When Is It Used, Fall, 1994
University and College Teaching and Guest Lecturer
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Adjunct Professor, Modern Real Estate Transactions, Trinity Term, 2012-2013
- Western Michigan University, History Department, honors students, April, 2006
- Columbia College of Chicago, Public Relations, Politics and Government, March, 2006