Terry Donnelly is a Member of the Firm in our Troy, Michigan office. Terry joined the Firm in 1977 and has specialized in the areas of public finance and municipal law since 1978. He has significant experience acting as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, and counsel to purchasers in public finance transactions in Michigan involving the issuance and sale by public entities of bonds and notes. In the last 30 years, his practice has focused on representing issuers (such as counties, cities, villages, townships, drainage districts, building authorities, tax increment authorities, sewer and water authorities and state authorities) and underwriters of municipal debt in financings involving improvements to sewer, water and stormwater/drainage systems, public buildings, roads and facilities (including energy conservation facilities), and funding unfunded pension and retiree health care liabilities and housing facilities for persons of low and moderate-income through the issuance of general obligation bonds and revenue bonds.
University of Notre DameB.A., 1969
- cum laude
University of VirginiaJ.D., 1972
- American College of Bond Counsel
- Michigan Association of County Drain Commissioners
- Life Member
- Best Lawyers in America®
- "Lawyer of the Year," Public Finance Law, 2019 & 2021
- "Lawyer of the Year," Municipal Law, 2017-2021
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- Government Finance, 2006-2021
- DBusiness Magazine
- "Top Lawyers," Public Finance Law, 2010-2021
- Charter Township of Bloomfield
- Gerald R. Ford International Airport Authority
- Great Lakes Water Authority
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms
- County of Kent; Kent County Drain Commissioner
- County of Lenawee; Lenawee County Drain Commissioner
- Michigan State Housing Development Authority
- JPMorgan Securities LLC
- County of Ottawa; Ottawa County Road Commission; Ottawa County Drain Commissioner
- County of Saginaw; Saginaw County Public Works Commissioner
- City of Troy
Counsel to the Great Lakes Water Authority in connection with the preparation of the lease with the City of Detroit providing for the long-term lease of the regional assets of the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department to the Authority.
Bond counsel to the Great Lakes Water Authority.
Counsel to City of Detroit Downtown Development Authority in connection with the development of Comerica Park and Ford Field.
Bond counsel to Michigan State Housing Development Authority in connection with over $5 billion of single-family and multi-family housing revenue bond issues.
Bond counsel to County of Kent and Gerald R. Ford International Airport Authority in connection with airport revenue bonds for Gerald R. Ford International Airport.
Bond counsel to numerous Michigan issuers of bonds to finance sewer and water systems.
Bond counsel to numerous Michigan county drain commissioners to finance storm water/drainage systems.
Bond counsel to numerous Michigan cities, villages and townships in connection with issuance of general obligation, special assessment and revenue bonds.
Underwriter's counsel and purchaser's counsel for general obligation and revenue bonds.
Bond counsel and underwriter's counsel in connection with bonds issued to finance unfunded pension and retiree health care liabilities.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Member
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- State Bar of Michigan Foundation, Member
Board of Directors, Citizens Research Council of Michigan, 2001-2019 (Vice Chair 2011-2014; Chair 2014-2017)
Board of Trustees, Citizens Research Council of Michigan, 2014-Present
Board of Directors, Notre Dame Club of Detroit 1985-2002; 2006-2008 (President 1991- 92)
Tutor, Detroit Compact (Pelham Middle School), 1992-95
- Frequent speaker to numerous groups in Michigan on matters related to public finance