Stephen E Dawson focuses his practice on commercial real estate lending and leasing, real estate development, and real estate loan workouts and foreclosures. With over 45 years of experience, he represents a variety of developers in acquisition, development, and leasing of projects. He is consistently ranked by Best Lawyers in America®, Chambers USA®, Michigan Super Lawyers®, and other leading evaluating organizations.
Michigan State UniversityB.A., 1968
- magna cum laude
University of MichiganM.A., 1969
University of Michigan Law SchoolJ.D., 1972
- cum laude
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services USA LLC
- TD Bank, N.A.
- Aisin Holdings of America, Inc.
Primary Areas of Practice Focus: commercial real estate lending and leasing, real estate development, and real estate loan workouts and foreclosures.
Serves as counsel to Mercedes-Benz Financial Services USA LLC with regard to national real estate activities. Previously served in the same capacity for Chrysler Financial Company, Daimler-Chrysler Services North America, and others.
Represents TD Bank in its real estate financing of automobile dealerships throughout the eastern United States.
For many years represented Kmart Corporation in its national real estate development and financing matters.
Represented Aisin Holdings of America in the acquisition and development of its 950 acre proving grounds in Fowlerville, Michigan.
Represents several bank clients in foreclosures/workouts of distressed commercial real estate.
Represented City of Detroit Downtown Development Authority in connection with Compuware and Campus Martius projects.
Represents various developers in acquisition, development, and leasing of projects.
- Member, State Bar of Michigan, Sections of Real Estate Law (Council Member 1985-1994; Chairperson 1992-1993) and Business Law
- Member, Land Title Standards State Bar of Michigan
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation
- "Legal Opinions in Commercial Real Estate Financing," presentation at Institute of Continuing Legal Education/Real Property Law Section Program, December 2013
- "Due Diligence in the Development of a Shopping Center," presentation at the ICSC Michigan Continuing Education Program, April 2007
- "A Potential Danger for Lessees and Leasehold Mortgagees: The Precision Industries Case," State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section Journal, Summer 2004