Russell Eggert, an environmental litigator with over four decades of experience, practices out of the firm’s Chicago office. Throughout his career, Russ has represented clients ranging from large companies and individuals to trade associations and public agencies, in both public and private enforcement actions involving every major federal environmental statute, as well as many of their state and local counterparts. He defends clients involved in class action and large mass tort lawsuits, as well as advising his clients on environmental compliance and due diligence projects.
University of Illinois College of LawJ.D., 1973
University of IllinoisB.A., 1970
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Environmental Law (2005-2020)
- Chicago “Lawyer of the Year” in Environmental Law (2017, 2022)
- Chambers USA
- Environment: Litigation, Illinois (2003-2020)
- Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Environmental Lawyers
- Defending a large manufacturer in a state enforcement action involving an oil spill.
- Defending a multinational manufacturer in a state enforcement action involving a chemical spill.
- Defending a large industrial company in a mass tort action alleging environmental nuisance and personal injury claims caused by air emissions.
- Defended an upstream oil company in a property damage private nuisance action arising from an oil spill.
- Represented a trade association in litigation over state product take-back legislation.
- Represented a trade association in litigation over regulation of nonpoint sources under the Clean Water Act.
- Tried a class action private nuisance claim to a jury involving air emissions. Defended an industrial company in a mass tort action alleging incomplete cleanup of an NPL site.
- Tried multiple citizens’ suits alleging violations of RCRA by a manufacturing company.
- Tried a CERCLA cost recovery action involving allegations of direct operator liability.
- Tried a CERCLA cost recovery action involving allegations of successor liability following a bankruptcy.
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin