Russ Kolsrud is a Member at Dickinson Wright PLLC and is a senior trial lawyer for clients having commercial disputes, health care controversies, transaction disagreements and disputes with government regulatory and licensing agencies. Since 1982, 80% of his practice involved representing clients in the health care industry.
Russ served in the Arizona Attorney General's Office as a trial lawyer for seven years representing the State of Arizona in water, boundary, and regulatory litigation. He appeared before the United States Supreme Court on two occasions. Russ has been in private practice since 1985, and has been a partner or member of law firms since 1988.
Presently, and during the past 10 years, Russ’ primary focus is the jurisprudence of behavioral health and its integration with acute care. Implementation of strategies to achieve integration and bend the healthcare cost curve give rise to unique, revolutionary, and consequential legal challenges for providers, payors, states, and federal programs.
In January 2009, Russ along with his partner Greg Moore created a Behavioral Health Care Law Practice Group, the first of its kind in a national law firm. With more than 50 years of combined experience, Russ and Greg guide their clients through the highly nuanced Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the beginning to get teeth Parity Act, the design of a health information exchange with a platform premised on compliance with secondary disclosure restrictions of 42 C.F.R. Part 2, and the business and legal stress associated with these challenges.
Arizona State UniversityB.S.
University of Puget SoundJ.D.
- With Distinction
- Received a Citation of Merit from the Office of the Governor in Arizona for achievement in representing and protecting the Arizona State Land Trust
- Received a Citation of Merit from Mayor, City of Phoenix for leadership of Phoenix Industrial Development Authority
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar
- State Bar of Arizona, Chairman, State Bar's Environmental and Natural Resource Section (1987- 88)
- State Bar's Arizona Appellate Handbook Committee Editorial Board (1980 – Present)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (1978 – Present)
- Judge Pro Tem for the Maricopa County Superior Court (2003 – Present)
- Appointed as Member of Governor’s Commission on State Land Reform
Scottsdale Industrial Development Authority, President
- Madison Educational Foundation in Phoenix, Past Member
- Heard Museum Men's Council, Past Member
- Phoenix Industrial Development Authority, Past President
- Encanto Village Planning Committee, Past Member
- U.S. District Court for the 7th and 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Courts for the Western District of Washington and the District of Arizona
- Arizona Supreme Court
- Presenter at the Mental Health Corporations of America 2016 Fall Conference on the False Claims Act after Universal Health Services v. United States ex rel Escobar, 136 S.Ct. (1989).
- Co-Author and Editor, "The Fundamentals of Behavioral Health Care Law," American Health Lawyers Association (2016).
- Co-Author, "The 21st Century Cures Act - Mental Health Parity," American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA) for the Behavioral Health Task Force Members, January 4, 2017