Robert Kouchoukos represents creative individuals and sports, entertainment and media companies in connection with a broad range of entertainment, intellectual property, technology and commercial transactions. Robert’s practice has a particular emphasis on transactions involving the production, licensing, publishing, distribution and marketing of music, movies, TV shows, video games and related software applications across various digital platforms and media.
Robert’s experience includes:
- Negotiating and drafting recording, music publishing, book publishing, film, television, videogame and live stage production, live performance, talent, merchandising, sponsorship and endorsement agreements.
- Counseling clients regarding the clearance, prosecution, registration, licensing and enforcement of copyrights, trademarks and publicity rights, and the IP aspects of mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and asset purchases (including in connection with music catalog sales).
- Negotiating and drafting patent, trade secret, software, technology and data licensing agreements.
- Assisting clients with business entity formation, structuring and financing matters.
Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, Robert served as in-house music and video production and licensing counsel at Sony Interactive Entertainment where he supported the SIE Worldwide Studios game development business and PlayStation Network digital TV, film, video game and live event streaming services.
Carleton CollegeB.A., History
Chicago-Kent College of LawJ.D., Intellectual Property Law Certificate Program
- Dean’s List: 2003-2005; CALI Award for Highest Grade in Advanced Research and Legal Drafting, Spring 2003
Represent Grammy nominated music producers for numerous major label hip hop, pop and R&B recording artists.
Represent live Internet television service in negotiation of programming agreements with television networks, professional sports leagues and new media companies.
Represent digital music and video services in negotiation of music public performance and mechanical licensing agreements with U.S. and foreign collection societies and advise on related international copyright clearance matters (e.g., neighboring and equitable remuneration rights).
Represent leading video game studios on music production, distribution, publishing and licensing transactions and related union and guild agreement compliance matters.
Represented first-to-market video game streaming service in negotiation of unprecedented blanket music license agreements with U.S. and foreign collection societies.
Represented entertainment event producer in securing rights to stream its live music concerts via various digital media services.
Advised videogame play sharing technology developer on matters relating to the creation, licensing and exploitation of user generated content (including music) via various social media platforms, and safe harbor compliance for ISPs.
Content licensing and e-commerce counsel for leading mobile phone manufacturer’s digital music and video download and streaming services, app store and mobile messaging platform.
Counsel for entertainment company producing live musical stage shows on the Las Vegas strip and a reality television series that aired on Telemundo.
Represented leading promoter of mixed martial arts competitions in negotiation of television production and distribution, music licensing, merchandising and fighter agreements.
Represented producers of North America’s largest annual Caribbean music festival.
Counsel for company producing U.S. version of popular UK television program highlighting the best homes and travel destinations across the world.
Represented company operating a live music venue and producing feature length documentaries and live concert films.
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Pro bono representation of Angels Warriors and Smiles for Survivors foundations