Robert B. Joslyn is Of Counsel in Dickinson Wright's Troy office. Mr. Joslyn focuses his practice on estate and tax planning, the administration of trusts and estates, and compliance with income, gift, estate, and generation-skipping transfer tax laws.
The scope of Mr. Joslyn’s experience includes the following:
- Designing plans for administering assets and minimizing taxes that have resulted in substantial wealth being passed on to clients’ next generations.
- Preparation of documents along with implementing estate and tax planning decisions.
- Preparation of all required individual, fiduciary, and transfer tax returns and representation of taxpayers during examination of returns and in court proceedings
Acting as a fiduciary (usually in conjunction with a client or family members) of moderate to large sized irrevocable trusts having investment partnerships and securities, rental and residential real estate, insurance claims, closely held business interests, oil and gas interests, and various forms of personal property (airplanes, yachts, farm and ranch equipment, livestock, art and gun collections, and the like).
- Representing beneficiaries’ interests in trust disputes and facilitating their resolution.
- Acting as an expert witness in numerous court and arbitration proceedings involving estate, trust, and tax matters.
- Negotiating and preparation of premarital agreements.
Florida State UniversityB.A.
Emory University School of LawJ.D.
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory "AV" (highest individual rating)
- The Best Lawyers in America (Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates) – included in all editions (also named Detroit area's 2013 "Lawyer of the Year" for Trusts and Estates)
- Top Michigan Lawyers in Super Lawyers (Estate Planning and Probate) – included in all editions
- The Best of the US – Lawyers (Tax, Real Estate, and Trust and Estate Law)
- New York Time's Top Michigan Lawyers (Trusts and Estates)
- DBusiness Magazine's Top Lawyers in Detroit (Trusts and Estates)
- Admitted as a Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Michigan’s Probate and Estate Planning Section, Member (Past Chair of its Council)
- Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan Detroit Inc., Member (Past President)
- Financial Estate and Planning Council of Macomb, Member
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow (Past State Chair and Regent)
- International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, Past Academician
- Grosse Pointe Yacht Club, Past Chairman of Legal Committee and Director
- Robert H. Tannahill Society of the Detroit Institute of Arts
- Legal/Financial Network Group of the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan
- U.S. Tax Court
Mr. Joslyn has been a speaker before the Detroit and other estate planning councils and has lectured extensively for the University of Michigan’s Institute of Continuing Legal Education and the State Bar of Michigan. He has also lectured at the University of Michigan Law School, the Notre Dame Tax and Estate Planning Institute, and the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. He has authored many articles and books on probate, tax, and estate planning topics.