Greg Moore chairs Dickinson Wright's Behavioral Health Care Practice Group. Mr. Moore has been a practicing health care attorney since 1991. During his entire career, he has focused on representing and counseling providers of all types and sizes across all existing and developing segments of the industry. He has been recognized as a thought leader and innovator when it comes to the integration of behavioral and physical health care. With 25 years of experience serving clients in the industry, his practice covers the full spectrum of regulatory, transactional, and litigation services.
In January 2009, Greg along with his partner Russ Kolsrud created a Behavioral Health Care Law focused Practice Group in response to the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 and the resulting expanded services clients in the Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder space would need. It was the first of its kind in a national law firm. With more than 50 years of combined experience, Greg and Russ continue to guide their behavioral health care clients through the highly nuanced Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act while maintaining a robust practice across all segments of the healthcare industry.
Throughout his career, Greg has focused on a practice that spans regulatory, transactional and litigation services for healthcare providers and investors in the healthcare industry. Like clients who secure their futures by diversification of their healthcare services, holdings or investments, Greg has diversified his knowledge base across many segments of the healthcare industry in an effort to react to market conditions, regulatory influence and payor policies and focus.
Today, all eyes are on Behavioral Health, one of the most highly regulated segments of the healthcare market such that the transaction volume is off the charts. Yesterday, everyone wanted to buy a hospital. Today, everyone wants to add a Mental Health or Substance Use Disorder Provider to their holdings – particularly Residential Treatment facilities – and autism service holdings. In order to fully service clients and their growth and diversification objectives, it is critical to maintain regulatory knowledge across multiple segments of the healthcare industry. Greg has done just that.
He has advised clients regarding regulatory matters ranging from Certificates of Need, Licensing & Certification to payor regulations, which inherently include the full alphabet soup of Federal and State fraud and abuse matters and conducted transactions within multiple healthcare market segments including: Physician Practices, Medical Office Building projects, Healthcare Management Companies, Healthcare REITS, Healthcare Billing Companies, Specialty Care facilities, Behavioral Healthcare Facilities including Psychiatric Urgent Care, Residential Treatment, Crisis Intervention, Mobile Crisis, AFC with BH focus, and autism, For-Profit and Not-For Profit Hospitals, Post-Acute Care, and the full spectrum of Senior and Long Term Care Providers including Independent Living, CCRCs, Assisted Living, Senior Specialty Care facilities such as memory care.
Indiana University, Robert H. McKinney School of LawJ.D.
- DBusiness Magazine
- "Top Lawyers," Health Care Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- Health Care, 2004-2021
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Health Care, 2020-2021
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- "Leaders in the Law," Class of 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rating
- Who’s Who Behind the Scenes in Healthcare, 2003
Assists with the creation of and strengthening of Provider Networks Such as ACOs, CINs, POs and PHOs.
Assists in the development of innovative delivery models from truly private concierge practice models to domestic and international medical value travel products and delivery systems.
Performs regulatory compliance assistance for numerous healthcare transactions involving provider merger, acquisition and divestiture which spans the necessary spectrum of Licensure, Certificate of Need, Certification, and Federal and State Payor regulatory compliance.
Representation of providers in civil and criminal health care fraud investigations.
Representation of relators in filing of federal and state false claims act matters.
Representation of Providers in disputes against Medicaid MCOs.
Creation of collaborative ventures between providers for the purpose of piloting, proving and implementing innovative delivery models with risk sharing and shared savings.
Federally Qualified Health Centers.
Creation of Clinically Integrated Networks with physicians and integrated behavioral health / physical medicine providers at the core of leadership.
General Counsel assignments for Behavioral Health Companies with a focus on SUD, MI, SPMI, Crisis and Psychiatric Urgent Care, DD and social services.
- The College of Behavioral Health Leadership, Board President
- American Health Law Association, Behavioral Health Task Force, Vice Chair of Educational Programming
- Common Ground, Board Member
- Avant Consulting, LLC, Co-Founder
- Common Ground Board of Trustees, 2015-present
- Crisis Text Line, Volunteer, 2015-present
- Elder Law of Michigan, Board of Directors (past)
- Birmingham Little League Coach 2006-2013
- Region 3, CUSSA, Parent Volunteer
- Kensington Community Church, High School Ministry Volunteer
- Presenter “Top 10 Developments in Behavioral Health” Dickinson Wright Annual Health Law Summit, November 2021
- Hosted, “Payment Parity for Behavioral Health, Part 2: Perspectives from a Payer, Provider, and Parent Advocate,” American Health Law Association podcast, May 2021
- Co-Author, "SUD Program Privacy Rules Modified by CARES ACT," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Why you need to integrate behavioral health into your primary care practice,” Physicians Practice, June 2019.
- Presenter, Successful Collaborative Care Models for Providers – Preserving Your Existence, Michigan Health Information Network Shared Services, June 4, 2019.
- Presenter, Yes! It CAN Be Shared – eConsent and the Truth About Behavioral Health Information, Community Mental Health Association of Michigan, February 5, 2019.
- Presenter, Behavioral Health Law Update, Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Health Law Institute, 24th Annual, March 8, 2018.
- Presenter, Designing A Successful Behavioral Health Collaborative Around The Social Determinates of Health, The College of Behavioral Healthcare Leadership, October 18, 2017.
- Presenter, Broken Promises & False Claims Act Liability After Escobar, Mental Health Corporations of America, November 3, 2016.
- Author, The Fundamentals of Behavioral Health Care Law, 1st Edition, American Health Lawyers Association, 2016.
- Co-Presenter, “Federal Behavioral Health Legislative and Regulatory Activity - Turning Esoteric Policy into Concrete Action,” American Health Lawyers Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado June 27, 28, 2016.
- Presenter, MHPAEA: Recent Developments, Federal and State Interpretations, and How to Comply, American Health Lawyers Annual Meeting, June 30, 2015
- Presenter, Strategies for Adopting an Integrated Delivery Model.
- Presenter, Behavioral Health Integration: Getting in the Driver’s Seat, The Michigan Association of Community Mental Health Boards.
- Presenter, Accountable Care Organization in Medicaid and Behavioral Health Marketplace.